Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Quote from: Merlijn on  03 January 2012, 20:27:31
... .
I've played the first 2 roch maps. It's bizarre to see how fast Pascal was developping his skills back then. ..

That was exactly my thoughts too  8)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Merlijn on  03 January 2012, 20:27:31
...Roch 2 still looks good by todays standards and has a great layout IMO. I also prefer Roch 2 over Roch 3 for some reason..

Agree. Roch 3 seems like it was more rushed or that he ran out of motivation
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Maarten

Funny, I also prefer Roch2 above Roch3.... I guess the more "dark city look" atmosphere gets me more :)

I should replay it...
Boo!

Forge

Roch5

Expanded & improved layout and floor plan over it's predecessors, especially concerning the amount of areas and locations accessible from the street. The game play relating to combat is significantly more evenly balanced in comparison to the rest of the maps in the series that came before it.

Puritan

Just finished "Canyon" by Mister Sinister.
A gigantic slaughter fest it is  :D
Very repetitive  textures, but what can you expect from a canyon?

I've also uploaded it to this site for those who want to give it a try.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

overtime by ck3d

one of his older maps, you can see the transition from his previous urban style to his now familiar environment. the downfall of this map is the overcrowding of the indoor areas

Roch6

moving away from the mostly street based action to larger and longer indoor areas. architecture (less boxy) and depth are also expanded on.

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Supertanker on  01 January 2012, 21:24:08
Quote from: Forge on  01 January 2012, 14:59:20
billyboy's early maps are frustrating puzzle nightmares, his later maps have easier puzzles, but they're huge an require alot of exploring

lighthouse and memorial hospital are large, but fairly easy to understand where you need to go

deadfall is huge and can be confusing

clearwater and bedrone are the in-betweens. not huge, not overly frustrating

oranges and valves will probably piss you off

try bedrone first

Has anyone actually FINISHED valves or oranges? I certainly never did. Clearwater and Bedrone are my two favorite maps of his. The rest kind of drive me nuts.

I second that. Never played valves or oranges.

Merlijn

Quote from: Forge on  09 January 2012, 17:24:49
Roch6

moving away from the mostly street based action to larger and longer indoor areas. architecture (less boxy) and depth are also expanded on.

I like how you go completely around the city area in this map before you enter it. It's pretty inventive and well executed.  :)

Forge

EarthBase by Mikko

nice cavern/snow map. even though it's pretty linear, fluctuating back and forth from inside to outside areas really makes it feel like you're getting somewhere.

couldn't get the skybox to work with eduke, but I didn't put alot of research into figuring it out

MSandt

Too bad about the skybox as it really adds to the atmosphere. I just tried it to see if some new EDuke32 bug is preventing it from working but seemed fine here. Did you try to play it in Polymer?
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

I played it in 8-bit software. Didn't occur me until later that I should have used polymost. (i don't use polymer unless it's a requirement)

I've played this map several times in the past, so I remember what the skybox looks like (even without it, the map is very atmospheric).

Forge

The System Opposing Facility by Ryan R.

Short and decent. Basically a shoot-em-up. Good texturing and shading, but nothing that jumps out and grabs me. The ending was disappointing. This map has alot more potential than what was taken advantage of.

Forge

Roch 7

This is the first non-linear map of the series. Also the first map where Pascal uses strong sector shading in almost all the indoor areas. Architecture and trimwork continually improve, increased amount of sprite work and sprite constructions. Ambiance is improved over previous releases, but game play loses some balance and he reverts back to overloading the player with weapons and atomic healths.

Puritan

Just replayed Maarten v. Oostrums ABBA.
It still stands out as a very good map.
I enjoyed myself while kicking alien asses and looking around this pearl.  :D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  12 January 2012, 18:19:10
Just replayed Maarten v. Oostrums ABBA.

Always been one of my favorites. This, Anarchy City, bobafett, fruit loops, red5... just to name a few

i guess it's just a nostalgia thing