Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Ah damn, Maarten spilled the beans, it was supposed to be surprise release..  :P
But yeah, the new version of red2 is nearly done.

Micky C

I'm still waiting for this map:

Quote from: Merlijn on  29 December 2011, 01:04:14
Anyway, I kinda want to make a map for my own character now.  :P A part of Amsterdam taken over by demons or something..
Quote from: Merlijn on  03 January 2012, 22:15:04
I think I'll go ahead and make a map for my own character, even though it won't be as ambitious or conceptually grand as these official levels.. I don't think I have the time for that  :-\).
Quote from: Merlijn on  04 January 2012, 18:05:09
Well shit, I can't go back now.  8) Concider it a deal; I'll try to start a map about a demon infestation in Amsterdam. Can't promise I will finish it though. ;D
Quote from: Merlijn on  08 January 2014, 19:13:08
I can't promise anything, but I was playing around with the idea of doing a city map where the aliens have frozen the surroundings (Mr Freeze style) and the player has to destroy the huge freeze gun to 'defrost' the city. ;D Originally for vanilla Duke, but it might also work as a TC level.

If you'd like that type of map in your TC, just tell me.  :)
Quote from: Micky C on  10 January 2014, 02:33:46
Not to mention Merlijn's character apparently saved the Netherlands from a rogue necromancer. Perhaps it could be the necromancer who is back for revenge by freezing a city?
Quote from: Merlijn on  12 January 2014, 13:03:29
Yeah, it would be cool if it's a map intended to be played with my character. I thought of trying to replicate some locations from Amsterdam, so it would be an adventure in the Netherlands.  :D

And be careful, misspelling my name 3 times in a row summons an evil demon.

;)

You then posted a picture of some cool traditional looking building you wanted to replicate but I can't find it. It might have been at the AMC private forum. The necromancer froze time in the city, so that lots of scenes where you'd expect to be motion are dead still, with floating stuff everywhere for example. You'd probably be able to restore time locally which could create some cool scenarios.
Wall whore.

quakis

Since I've begun updating my site again, uploaded my review for Insurance Overload; http://taw.duke4.net/2014/11/duke3d/insurance-overload/

Forge

Nice review.
wish i had the patience to do articulate summaries like that.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Merlijn

Quote from: Micky C on  04 November 2014, 12:33:17
I'm still waiting for this map:

Quote from: Merlijn on  29 December 2011, 01:04:14
Anyway, I kinda want to make a map for my own character now.  :P A part of Amsterdam taken over by demons or something..
Quote from: Merlijn on  03 January 2012, 22:15:04
I think I'll go ahead and make a map for my own character, even though it won't be as ambitious or conceptually grand as these official levels.. I don't think I have the time for that  :-\).
Quote from: Merlijn on  04 January 2012, 18:05:09
Well shit, I can't go back now.  8) Concider it a deal; I'll try to start a map about a demon infestation in Amsterdam. Can't promise I will finish it though. ;D
Quote from: Merlijn on  08 January 2014, 19:13:08
I can't promise anything, but I was playing around with the idea of doing a city map where the aliens have frozen the surroundings (Mr Freeze style) and the player has to destroy the huge freeze gun to 'defrost' the city. ;D Originally for vanilla Duke, but it might also work as a TC level.

If you'd like that type of map in your TC, just tell me.  :)
Quote from: Micky C on  10 January 2014, 02:33:46
Not to mention Merlijn's character apparently saved the Netherlands from a rogue necromancer. Perhaps it could be the necromancer who is back for revenge by freezing a city?
Quote from: Merlijn on  12 January 2014, 13:03:29
Yeah, it would be cool if it's a map intended to be played with my character. I thought of trying to replicate some locations from Amsterdam, so it would be an adventure in the Netherlands.  :D

And be careful, misspelling my name 3 times in a row summons an evil demon.

;)

You then posted a picture of some cool traditional looking building you wanted to replicate but I can't find it. It might have been at the AMC private forum. The necromancer froze time in the city, so that lots of scenes where you'd expect to be motion are dead still, with floating stuff everywhere for example. You'd probably be able to restore time locally which could create some cool scenarios.

Yeah I'm sorry that one never took off. :( The idea is great, but I probably can't find the time for that.. It's not only a matter of building an entire level based on Amsterdam, but I'm also not familiar with the custom effects and textures.

Micky C

Well, if you ever change your mind, just keep in mind that;
James actually rigged up a system within mapster so that the effects explain how to use themselves as you set them up.
And that although the tile set for the TC is quite large, most of it is actually game-related effects and things and not textures. The number of actual textures is relatively small, and they're usually found in isolated blocks. Once you know where these blocks are (which is a lot easier when you already have textures from those blocks in your map so you can go straight to them), then it's a lot less daunting and much more manageable.
Wall whore.

quakis

One reason I love this site for is discovering older maps I otherwise would have missed. On that note here's a review for Post Logic, played via DOSbox: http://taw.duke4.net/2014/11/duke3d/post-logic/

Forge

Duke gets to some crack in the wall of a rocky side, he notices a small gap, and falls down after climbing through it. Duke gets up and sees another, low on the ground, and goes through it.
Duke emerges from a tight gap in some rocks and gets into some sort of cave. Duke wonders to himself, "Have I really gotten away from them?"

you have quite a few DM maps that seem to have gone unnoticed on other review sites as well

quakis

That sounds terribly familiar but I can't quite put my finger on where?

Forge

from the template of the original Enlighten The Darkness

still have that and:

Ground Rester Deathmatch
GresterDM3
The Origin 1
Falling high
Neoplant
Shortcut demo

which aren't hosted here (yet). If you have more, i'll take them.

quakis

Eek! Yes now I remember. That there is some pretty bad writing considering the time frame EtD was released, wow.

Personally regarding a lot of those listed maps I'd ditch bothering with anything from that incredibly mediocre throwaway "old map pack" I released eons ego; "Falling High" "Neoplant" and "Shortcut Demo", it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth just thinking those are going to "add up" on my release list. They're not of any value honestly. Already feels iffy having "GresterDM2" here. This isn't regarding concern of embarrassment on my part for those releases, they're simply nowhere near any form of a quality standard at all. If anything I'd prefer sticking to the official releases. "The Origin" is fine for example, at least it's a playable map albeit a rather poor one.

Forge

you don't appreciate the historical significance they represent in the development of your mapping skills?

quakis

Anything from that pack? No. The only 'significance they represent' is lazy, effortless work I threw into a zip file. Half of them are just boxes with DM starts thrown in. Historical significance regarding (my) mapping development only has value if said work had any legitimate value to begin with. What does that pack have? Piss poor excuses for DM maps and an unfinished SP map. I'd consider it the equivalent to shitting in a bag and sending it to an art exhibit. Let's compare that for example to my release Q-Red, which I dislike for being weak overall, but at least it's a playable level and holds a certain nostalgic charm looking back on it. Same for any of the "Nuked" maps. Heck, I even spent more time with GresterDM1 than its 'sequels'.

If you're desperate to have them uploaded, if anything treat the entire pack as a single release and be clear of its release date (src: MSDN). They should be considered as mere curiosity and not as individual releases.

If you really want something else from me, give my Wolf3D mini-sode a look! Just pretend you're playing Duke3d or something... (*cough* I only got feedback from two people!)

MSandt

I think all my old maps are great. LV-426 is still better than Colonial Marines.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Forge

Quote from: quakis on  09 November 2014, 13:16:29
If you're desperate to have them uploaded, if anything treat the entire pack as a single release and be clear of its release date (src: MSDN). They should be considered as mere curiosity and not as individual releases.
I'll respect your concerns and address them to the administration about pulling GresterDM2 off the server and including in it a pak.

no offense, but historically speaking unfinished and abandoned was your m.o.

Quote from: MSandt on  09 November 2014, 14:19:06
I think all my old maps are great. LV-426 is still better than Colonial Marines.
i'm sure i'll thoroughly enjoy the levels from your old map paks and the couple others i haven't got to as well

RR (Redneck Rampage)
Unreal2
Moonbase
QContMS
A Winterland Memory