Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

Cool! Uhh.. I hope you replaced the voice acting in ABBA? :P Just kidding.

I have a bit more time to play through the TC now (currently at the Wharf), so I'll definitely check it out.

James

I would never replace Maarten's fantastic voice :P I did add subtitles to it as well as a neat little trick where the character you've picked replies to him as well. It's only minor but it really adds to it I think :) keep us posted on what you think of the TC!

Merlijn

I just checked out both ABBA and Red 5: nice job!  8) Also played ABBA as my own character, just to hear my own stupid one liners hahaha.

Last time I've played the episode I was somewhere half way through The wharf, I'll post more thoughts when I've finished the level (the rain causes some lag, at least I assume it's the rain). I'll just say that I'm really enjoying it so far!

methy

I just played Block City. Some random unorganized thoughts :

It was good but with a bit of "extra" it could have been a lot more.

Some SoS visual glitches in that building requiring the yellow card.

Plenty of chaingun ammo but no chaingun? I had EXACTLY enough ammo for the entire map though, I had 0 of everything left when I killed the BLord.

Everything looked solid, well proportionned and textured.

But you know, it almost feels too serious. The map lacks a bit of "crazy sauce" to be really great, 2 or 3 secret places, have 2 of the places be interconnected, leave a little room of freedom for the player (let him choose between 2 ways to go in the same building for instance), give one more weapon, and it would have been a lot better. The map feels a little too "flat", streamlined, gameplay-wise.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

MSandt

Yeah well it is a quickie. Maybe one day it evolves into something else..

Quote from: methy on  14 June 2015, 11:56:05
Plenty of chaingun ammo but no chaingun? I had EXACTLY enough ammo for the entire map though, I had 0 of everything left when I killed the BLord.

Check the big wall with the OJ signs; both the freezer & chaingun are there.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

ck3D

lots of cool maps today on the site in the 'on this day...' box. be it the map themselves or their respective authors, some of which seem to have released quite a few other, cool levels that never really caught the mainstream attention (and this is exactly where the 'other maps by the same author' box comes in handy)

:)

Puritan

Quote from: ck3D on  20 July 2015, 14:02:08
lots of cool maps today on the site in the 'on this day...' box. be it the map themselves or their respective authors, some of which seem to have released quite a few other, cool levels that never really caught the mainstream attention (and this is exactly where the 'other maps by the same author' box comes in handy)

:)

Thanks mate.
We're trying to dig out enjoyable maps for your amusement.
I'm having lots of maps by known authors still to come  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

ck3D

nice to hear. yeah, this site is really efficient now as far as referencing user maps is concerned, especially now that the data base is huge, all the features, 'related' links and various types of listings work together in a really practical way, making it really convenient to find content !

Puritan

This is one of the best looking DM-map I've seen for a while.
Haven't played it in DM.....just wandered about in order to take some screenshots.
Some of you might be thinking of building a cave / terrain styled map...
Just look how he pulled it off way back in 1997!

Aztec_cn for DM

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Played the map "Shade" by Bliss today.
It's been sitting on my HD for ages but it was about time to share it.
For a map from way back in 1997 it's very well designed.
Too much ammo and health is scattered around but it is quite fun anyway.

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/S/shade/shade.php
Oh when I'm old and wise

Sanek

Quote from: Puritan on  07 June 2016, 19:32:51
Played the map "Shade" by Bliss today.
It's been sitting on my HD for ages but it was about time to share it.
For a map from way back in 1997 it's very well designed.
Too much ammo and health is scattered around but it is quite fun anyway.

Shade by Bliss

Played it after reading your post. I'm agree! Design of the map is very good for 1997, and there's a lot of elevators going up and down, which is rarely used nowaways.

I remember seeing the very end of this map as a part of CBP1 - now I know where it comes from. Thanks!

Puritan

Thought it was about time I played a couple of Merlijn's maps.
Started off with "Red 1" and then straight onto "Red1: Poisoned Lands".
Cool to see the difference in his building skills in maps released in 2001 and 2013.

Well worth a try  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I got a lot of that back when I actually played maps to do reviews. It was interesting playing people's early stuff, then their later releases relatively close together.
If you follow them over the years, it's like having a puppy grow up to a dog - you really don't notice the slow changes.
If you have a puppy for a couple weeks, then trade it in for a full grown dog, you can see the dramatic shift. Same with people's mapping styles.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

The Asteroid
Aug. 7, '99
Ray Tracer

A four map mini-episode

rename any loose user.con.
edit the asteroid.bat file - change duke3d.exe to eduke32.exe

The first level is a mix between (asteroid) lunar surface canyons and narrow caves. There's not a lot to the map as far as detailing or variation. It's a linear path that alternates between above ground and under ground. There is some cliff climbing and the elevation changes with slopes, but that's about it. Combat is a bit repetitive, and dealing with sentry drones in narrow passages has its good and bad. It can't buzz around and get away from you so you don't waste a bunch of ammo trying to kill it, but then you can't get away from its explosion very well either. It's not all bad, there's a good firefight about three quarters of the way through, with a nice variety of enemies, and there's a fair amount of health and ammo to deal with all the baddies.

The second level is a deep underground mine with machinery, conveyors, and other accessories associated with such an operation. The level is primarily a series of narrow tunnels with multiple rooms of various sizes and shapes. The architecture and detailing is a bit sparse in several areas, but is decent enough to provide a good atmosphere. The flow is centered around a room with a large piece of mining machinery that acts as the hub of the level. The premise is to search one branch at a time to ferret out a key which will give the player a code to activate the machine. This will knock down a wall and allow Duke to escape back to the surface. Combat can't be too innovative in such confined settings, but there are a couple engagements in the larger rooms that spice it up a little. A few too many free-range atomic healths does take away from the challenge though.

The third map is an EDF styled station on the surface of the asteroid. It's not exceptionally well detailed, and the architecture is pretty blocky for the most part, but the author does make interesting use of textures and palettes. The station is made up of three primary sections; warehousing, scientific laboratories, and a computer mainframe. The main premise of the map is a key card hunt, but each section also has its own type of puzzle. The warehouse portion has jump puzzles, the laboratories have the player hunting down a switch, the interior of the computer has a self-destruct sequence that the player has to escape from. The escape sequence can be messed up and the player can become trapped though. Combat is pretty consistent throughout; even during the times when backtracking is required.

The fourth and final map is pretty much a linear path of EDF space-station styled hallways and a few random rooms with computer consoles. The entire theme of game play in this level consists of a series of collapsing ceilings and random explosions. The player has to seek out hidden or camouflaged passages, figure out button puzzles, and explore mazes; all while trying to avoid being crushed or blown up. It's pretty annoying. Save frequently. Even when the launch hangar at the end is reached, the final boss practically falls on the players head when it enters the room. Running fast in the right direction is the name of the game here. The only thing missing are the gold rings.

Overall I'd give it a 78 out of 100

original release loose files:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z7cqayv9b0n2r3y/asteroid1.zip
or grp file version:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eh02yru1artmv8d/Asteroid.zip
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Wow, great review.
I've uploaded it along with two additional screenies.

Thank you very much, Forge  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise