Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

ADG 06
An urban themed map.

The premise is to navigate along a linear path that leads the player from a plaza through a building, out onto a connecting terrace and into another building. Repeat this about three times. Game play is a standard affair. Collect a few basic weapons, advance into an area, shoot up all the aliens, get a few supplies, then advance to the next section. Add in a bunch of respawns to keep the action consistent, a few being the annoying behind the back sort, toss in a couple key cards, a dash of finding the clue to solve a safe lock, and you have yourself a small adventure. What really sets this map apart from its peers is the incredible detailing and scenery. The level has a firm grasp on realism. The interiors of the apartment and office type buildings are very clean and crisp. The back ground vista is beautiful, with it's river scene, vehicles cruising by on a highway, an active moving tram, and the articulate construction of the surrounding buildings. This level radiates with depth and immersion. Come for the alien murder, stay for the Fernet con coca.

Overall I'd give it a 94.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Alien Rendezvous
December 13th 2013
by Urukiora

A re-creation of the map known as Alien Rendezvous from the fourth episode of Plug'n Pray for Duke Nukem Total Meltdown. The level is mostly a military base with a touch of city streets and a little bit of alien space ship thrown in. The atmosphere is well done, with good shading, texture choices, and some sector effects. The street area is a bit empty and plain, but the focus in that location is supposed to be the descending alien craft.
Game play on the other hand is quite the challenge. The level is pretty linear so getting lost or turned around isn't an issue. There's also a secret-level exit in the map as well, so taking the left path instead of the right isn't much of a problem either. The difficulty comes with the slug-fest combat. The player is confronted with a large amount of enemy fairly early on, and there are some tough aliens in the mix. Luring some baddies into an earlier section of the level and trapping them there is a decent strategy. Even then, if the player can't find the RPG in the secret area, the map is incredibly hard to complete. And while not totally essential, the jetpack is the top piece of equipment if for nothing more than collecting the very elusive stashes of ammo and healing items. This map is like an old mattress; hard and lumpy. But it's still better than sleeping in a dirt hole.

Overall I'd give it an 85

Puritan

Excellent reviews.
Thank you very much  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Alien Controlpoint
13 July 2015
by o_0MercHant0_o

An EDF styled base on an alien planet that appears to be in the process of being re-assimilated back into alien firmament. Quite a collection of textures and pallet applications makes for an interesting atmosphere. A healthy dose of architectural detailing and layered sections via tiers and stairs keeps things looking interesting, and avoids feeling flat.
Right off the start the map proves to be hard as the switch to be shot in order to escape your holding cell is pretty small, hard to see, and hard to hit with a pistol round. Things only get harder from this moment on. Notice a pattern yet? Gameplay is a difficult slug-out with some pretty tough aliens in some fairly close quarters. Activating switches and having rockets and drones explode on your backside is literally a pain in the ass. Repeat several times. The lack of healing items and heavy weapons for the first half of the level only exasperates the situation. Luckily the design and terrain do provide some decent cover, but it's still annoying to have to take down a mini-battlelord with a pistol. A nice looking map to frequently die in.

Overall I'd give it an 84

Puritan

^And by that excellent review we've reached 1200 maps bunged to the server.
Thank you  :)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

You can remove the links out of my posts if you want. You have the Modify function set on a time limit for us regular users, so I can't go back and change anything.

Forge

Aliens2
Marek  "Fallout" Kubáèek
19 May 2001

The map follows the theme of the Aliens movie; a human colony on a distant planet has stopped making contact and it's up to the player to investigate. The atmosphere is well done with flashing and pulsing red lights on dark grey steel textures, hissing steam everywhere, little bits of debris strewn about, and sections of the base in various states of destruction or disrepair. The player is also required to crawl around in vents, drop down shafts, leap across chasms, and navigate through various twisting and turning corridors and rooms. Puzzles and keys are a minor part to the game. The primary portion of action is avoiding aliens due to limited healing items and ammo, and dodging explosions as the structure is in the process of self-destructing. It's quite challenging and harrowing at times. More fun than a fireball to the face. If you move too fast or too slow, it is a fireball to the face.

Overall I'd give it an 85   

Puritan

^Splendid
The review is uploaded.
Many thanks  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I'm having problems identifying this map. I have no template, there are no watermarks that I found, and I don't know where it came from.

Do you recognize it?

[attachment removed]

Forge

I did find the same file on Duke4's dukeworld file system under the 2001 to current listings.
It also is without a template.
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/2001-current/unsorted/other/Duke%20Nukem%203D/Maps/Single%20Player/2004/Maps/

The one from Dukeworld is dated 2004. The one I have is dated 1997. I tend to lean towards the date of the one I have as being closer to the original. I'm basing that off of the huge sector behind the mirror that is typical to maps from Duke3D 1.3.

My concern is if this level is from a TC or something. The dukematch in this map is set up pretty weird too.
Not too sure about the TC thing though - since it is available as a lone map on Dukeworld.

I just don't want to waste my time playing it and giving my opinion about it if it's part of a larger package. Be nice if I knew who created it as well.

Puritan

Shuffled through my pile of maps and I didn't find a match.
I agree that this map is from 1997. A typical map from that decade.
It was a straight forward but fun little map  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Ancients
4 May 1997
Author Unknown

An underground military base themed map.

The design is of a simple hub-styled level with the premise of a key-card hunt. The quality of the ambiance fluctuates a bit; some areas are well detailed and have solid shading techniques applied. Other sections are full-bright and are textured like the tile was on sale. Generally though, the architecture and construction are pretty decent, and the map is consistent with ambient sounds.
The player is constantly changing elevation with lifts, slopes, balconies, and stairs. Plus the environment shifts from above ground, to natural tunnel, to military bunker, to a few underwater sections. The enemies and weaponry also vary with the surroundings, and all this variety keeps the player's attention engaged in the level and maybe feeling a little more forgiving towards some of the simpler areas. More fun than a date with a fat-commander.

Overall I'd give it an 83

Puritan

Thank you, sire.
A good review and a fair score  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Thanks.

They're just opinions I'm posting in a forum, not something chiseled from stone.  If you're going to use them in an "official review" capacity and there's something about them you want to change (such as the score, or something added to or removed from the description which you feel could better reflect a map), feel free to do so.

Forge

Holocausto en la sierra
Eye del Cul
13 July 2003

A couple canyons with military-base type structures scattered around.

The level is made up of a few small buildings, each usually containing just a single room or two, a couple underwater sections, some sewer sections, and a couple open outdoor canyon areas. Nothing too extravagant, but it's put together well enough architecturally. Usually the indoor parts are pretty dark, the outdoor parts are pretty bright, and detailing amounts to piles of sprite objects set on fire and dumped randomly around the level.
Gameplay consists mostly of wandering around open canyon sections, hopping from rock to rock, shooting everything that moves, looking for sporadically placed supplies, trying to find a key, and avoiding random explosions. And such magnificent explosions they are. Open a door - everything explodes. Flip a switch - everything explodes. Step on a rock - everything explodes. Sneeze - everything explodes. Good thing there are generous amounts of healing items spread around. More fun than skin grafts.

Overall I'd give it and 80