Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Mucho gracias, senor Forge  :D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

_Base13
Craig Nisbet
5 October 1996

A large industrial facility.

There two maps; _Base13 is the single player version, _Base11 is the multiplayer version. Both can be played in single player. The main difference is the single player version has key cards, whereas the multiplayer version has wall cracks and a few of the doors are unlocked. They both have aliens and an exit. Play the multiplayer version solo if you just want to shoot aliens and find the the way out. Play the single player version if you want the added exploration challenge of finding a couple cards and their corresponding locks. As for multiplayer, I don't know how well this map would work unless there were several players because the level is quite large and it might be difficult to find the other people.

The layout is pretty open and the player can spend quite a bit of time wandering around trying to find cards, locks, and switches. It's not too unpleasant though as the design and detailing are fairly good. There are a lot of effects, constant ambient sounds, nice texture combinations, and solid architecture. Moving through the level is almost like climbing around in a giant jungle-gym with all the lifts, ventilation shafts, underwater tubes, ramps, stairs, platforms, and various other structures and passages.
There are quite a few aliens spread around the map and the given firepower to deal with them is way over-board in favor of the player, but healing items are only found in a few places. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. With power tools.

Overall I'd give it an 79
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  20 January 2018, 18:50:53
Thanks.

They're just opinions I'm posting in a forum, not something chiseled from stone.  If you're going to use them in an "official review" capacity and there's something about them you want to change (such as the score, or something added to or removed from the description which you feel could better reflect a map), feel free to do so.

I understand that this is your opinion about the maps.
Your points of view are spot on for the most part and works smooth as guacamole as reviews in my opinion.
You are far better than me in reviewing stuff. I just keep on with digging out oldies and attach a DNR-styled review.

Cool to see you're playing (and enjoying) DN3D maps again by the way  :)
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

El Cementerio
Eye del Cul
July 14 2003

A level that takes place in a morgue.

The map pretty much consists of long linear narrow corridors broken up with an occasional small room, or outdoor cemetery. The main alleviation to the scenery is the large underwater section, if only to get away from the square and blocky structuring of everything else. There is one 'maze'. It's basically a hallway that forks out in three or four directions. They all dead end. Some reward the player, others have nothing, one collapses and is supposed to kill the player. It's just as likely to trap the player with no escape except death by starvation. Like the layout, detailing and architecture are minimal and redundant. A couple rooms are slightly interesting, but it's a rarity
There's not a lot of variety that can be had in such a map. Just walk forward and shoot. A couple rooms have the aliens stacked in pretty thick. Hold your trigger finger down longer.

Overall I'd give it a 74

Puritan

^Added to the repository.
Thank you very much  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

BASE13
Jim Valentine
April 22, 1997

An EDF space station styled map.

A fairly basic map in design with a few odd texture choices, some common and redundant rooms, and a few simple things that could have been more consistent; like the shade on some of the detailing sprites, and thorough palette application in a few rooms. There is just enough variety to the environment between the control type rooms, the ventilation shafts, the barracks type area, recreational areas, and power generation rooms to keep it interesting. That, and there are several jokes and humorous scenes to keep it entertaining as well. The level is made up of multiple forks of corridors and rooms with the premise of exploring crews quarters until a key is found, going to one end of the station to drop a barrier, then making one's way to the other end of the structure in order to reach a portion of the station that's being assimilated by aliens. Enemy placement can get creative at times, and some of the combinations of alien combatants work well together. Most of it is pretty fair and there are enough supplies to get by on. More fun than radiation poisoning.

Overall I'd give it a 77

Forge

Baserape
March 30th, 2016
by neoacix

Requirements      : High Resolution Pack, DukePlus Mod

It also has some polymer lights, but my machine couldn't handle it. The map has large open outdoor areas full of sprites and models, and the lag made it unplayable. HRP is actually optional, not mandatory, since the level can be finished without using it. Not using it only causes a few issues, mostly related to sprite alignment and sizing, which are preferable to the hit fps takes if your machine and video card are a bit on the weak side. 

The map encompasses a small section of a town right outside the gate of a military missile base, with the main portion of the level consisting of the base itself. The level is huge and loaded with details, models, and sprites. There are a multitude of buildings; a bar, gas station, post office, maintenance garage, flight hanger, missile silo, control rooms, power stations, offices, a radio station, and much more. A large number of the buildings are multi-storied, and some have roof access as well, so this makes for many tiers and layers for the player to navigate. The only area the map falls short in is the weak shading, but the texturing combinations help offset that a bit.
The theme is a keycard and key-lock hunt. Being that the map is huge and open, there's no order in which to explore things, thus the player must wander around until a yellow key is found, then the yellow lock is found. Repeat this process with the blue key and lock, then once again while inside the missile silo with the red key and lock.
There are a ton of supplies for the almost constant fire fights, and while dukeplus boosts to the player attributes, the aliens also have additional damaging attacks. To complicate matters while running around outside, there are a couple turrets and a wandering tank firing occasional rockets at the player. It's just one more to watch out for while exploring. The most annoying parts are the unpredictable deadly booby traps that can only be avoided with proper advanced knowledge. The player won't have this knowledge unless they've played it before, so it's pretty easy to get dead in this map. Save often. Do I want to be squished or blown up? Eff it, let's do both.

Overall I'd give it a 91

Forge

Came across this map, it's not bad, but it has some issues
It's a SP only map, but the author used an APLAYER sprite (at 60163, 58370) instead of setting the start point with scroll-lock
A couple cosmetic issues - there's a sky texture in the start room window that needs to be parallaxed
The boss at the end can fall off the side of the platform into a black pit so then the map can't be finished.
I also don't know why there's a huge unused underground & sewer section - there's nothing down there

do you think it's worth fixing the start point & doing something about the issue with the boss, then add the adjusted map & a small text to the original zip file?
The only part I really don't like is the huge empty underground & sewer section - it's completely pointless. But that's the only major knock against it if the start point & boss were adjusted.

I'm not a big fan of screwing with other people's stuff - but it's from 1996 & it's kind of a waste to let this fall to the side because of a couple things that are quick-fixes.

(original file attached, you'll have to move the start-point if you want to play it)

Puritan

I like the idea about fixing the mentioned issues.
I started where the Aplayer sprite is located. Didn't finish the level but it seems to be quite challenging...
The level is brimmed with aliens.

Took the liberty to adjust the level. Also fixed some of the corrupts. Now the map is down to three errors.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I'll get back to this within a few days, thanks for taking a look.

Forge

Noche en la Ciudad (como la canciĆ³n de Barricada)
Eye del Cul
14 July 2003

A partially destroyed city swarming by aliens.

The premise is for the player to hunt down a few key cards and make their way through a couple street sections and some buildings until they reach the city district where aliens are in the process of creating a base and hive. The map is inconsistent with its construction; some areas are well shaded and detailed, others are incredibly plain and empty. Lots of narrow winding hallways and slim gaps between multitudes of bookcases doesn't help the ambiance.
Game play is a little inconsistent as well. The gun-fights, equipment, and alien variety are decent enough, but the multi-forked layout with no rhyme or reason throws things off. The player can find themselves in front of a locked door just to realize they have to go half-way back through the map to get a key or throw a switch. Respawns help keep the action at a fairly even pace, but this can only help so much. Is it backtracking, or deja vue?

Overall I'd give it an 80

Forge

try this one.
fixed a couple other things
changed the end area - the player not being able to fall off the cliff makes it too easy

anvil

I recall playing those Eye del Cul maps a couple of years ago, good maps.
Played it as an episode which probably makes it easier.

Forge

I got them from eye's page a long time ago.
The maps came in packages called niveles.zip & niveles2.zip, and the tiles & con had to be downloaded separately.

It could have been this old site:
https://web.archive.org/web/20081224143152/http://www.geocities.com/eyedecul/duke3d/dukeinfo.html

The biggest thing I remember about his old site was reading all the anti-united states rants he had on it (as I was downloading his stuff).
Man he hates that country.

Thanks for the link to the episode.

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  28 January 2018, 18:11:33
try this one.
fixed a couple other things
changed the end area - the player not being able to fall off the cliff makes it too easy

Passed the level this time. Died only two times  :P
Works smooth enough with the latest adjustments.
Oh when I'm old and wise