Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

You may not remember since it was quite some time ago - and I only partially recall what was said, but the discussion was about a map by GregR called 1_bitch.
We knew it had another name, but weren't sure what it was, at the time.

It was originally called 1LastMap before he re-named it a little over a month later.
You probably already knew that, but I thought I'd bring it up since I just came across it in my stash.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

BLAST!
Miguel Daher
1 June 2000

An old abandoned building in the middle of a slum that's been taken over by aliens.

This is a pretty straight forward map; the path is nearly a straight shot from start to finish. Aside from one key card, it's primarily just a series of switches that unlock doors, and a lot of in-your-face bullet exchanges with aliens. It's pretty tough; the player starts with the minimum pistol and ammo, eats some explosions to lower their hit points, then has to face down a few enemies in a hallway right outside the hover-copter they're in. Duke will get a weapon upgrade and a bit of ammo fairly quickly, but it's still an uphill battle for most of the map. Ammo and health are pretty scarce, aliens aren't.
There are a few quirks and annoyances along the way which mostly have to do with touchplates. A couple of them set off unannounced explosions for no apparent reason and take away precious health. Another is an touchplate that unlocks a room way back by the hover-copter that give the player an RPG - which they need to get through a wall crack. The player has to understand and interpret the series of cameras from the view-screen in the room where this unremarkable trigger occurs in order to grasp what they need to do, and where to go, to get the needed explosive weapon. That's if the player even bothers to look at the viewscreen. They could end up wandering aimlessly until they happen upon it, or accidentally find the semi-obscure alternate path that ends in a hidden door opening into the RPG room. Either way it's a bit of a sketchy set-up for something that's needed to progress.
The last bit of pain involves the one and only key card. It's well hidden. Very well hidden. Behind an almost indiscernible dark wooden panel located in the corner of a dark room.
Construction and detailing are a bit simplistic, and some of the texturing is a bit sloppy, but overall, the atmosphere is done fairly well. It's dark, dank, and gloomy, and the texture set fits the ambiance. Ramps, lifts, and plenty of twists and turns in the path give the impression of a larger map than what it is and also a sense of progression. More fun than mildew.

Overall I'd give it a 77

Forge

Bloodstone Courtyard
ToiletDuck64
30 May 2016

A Doom inspired map.

It's a basically one large room done in a stone and water motif, and paletted Mars-red. Gather the few weapons and ammo stashes, murder a fistful of aliens, raise stone pillars, jump around on the top of said pillars to collect keys. That pretty much sums it up. Short and sweet. More fun than minute-rice.

Overall I'd give it a 71

Puritan

Great!
Thanks for the submission(s)  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

bloode1m1
Dennis Collins (StarCraftZerg)
2 August 2014

A remake of Blood's E1M1: Cradle to Grave.

The map consists of a crypt, graveyard, and funeral home. Instead of custom art it makes do with base Duke textures, and there are some real odd choices. The use of Duke3d textures, and weak shading in most areas, makes the ambiance feel flat.
Game play itself is pretty much in a straight forward 'the key card is in the next room' style. There are plenty of pipebombs, so the player can run around and blow up the enemies instead of just shooting them, so there's that. More fun than bread.

Overall I'd give it a 72

Forge

Here's another map I've seen before, but can't place.
it has a watermark of sorts, j.d.e
('just die evil' written next to it)
nobody I know with those initials or nick name.

Do you recognize it?

[attached file removed]

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  21 February 2018, 04:31:25
Here's another map I've seen before, but can't place.
it has a watermark of sorts, j.d.e
('just die evil' written next to it)
nobody I know with those initials or nick name.

Do you recognize it?

I've played it before....guess it's in my map pile somewhere.
Had a go tonight but quit when I encountered the 11-button combo switch  :P
The map has potential but seems to be a bit rushed/unfinished.
Can't tell who's the author though, since the style fits several authors from back in the days.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Some areas are good (mostly the indoor sections), some areas are empty (mostly the street sections).

The layout is pretty good, but the flow could have been better in some spots.

And some sections, like the underwater section below the building that blows up, kinda seems pointless unless the player really, really needs a chaingun at that point in the map. The night club also seems rather pointless unless the player really, really needs a shotgun at that point in the map.
Looking in mapster though - there's quite a bit of multiplayer stuff in those sections.

The ridiculous button puzzle (which I didn't find a clue for) gives the player the yellow key (which is pointless), but it also opens the end-button  - which is back where the player started, but they wouldn't know that unless they looked at the viewscreen next to the puzzle after solving it.

The map has its highs & lows, but it's better than, or at least on par with, some of the crap I've submitted. Probably a low 70's.

anvil

Puritan

Quote from: anvil on  21 February 2018, 22:03:21
This map's name is Duke's in da House by Jeremy Endres.

Excellent, sir!
I knew I had it somewhere in my pile.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: anvil on  21 February 2018, 22:03:21
This map's name is Duke's in da House by Jeremy Endres.
Thanks.
I hate when people rename maps to something random & don't include the template.

Forge

Block City
Mikko Sandt
25 April 2015

A city styled map.

A straight forward sequential key card hunt. Three main buildings to explore, with a couple rooms each, and a large street section that wraps around a central block sums it up. The enemies escalate in tandem with the acquired weapons and the flow is quite smooth. Action is pretty consistent from start to finish and is fair throughout.
There's nothing atypical from the usual city themed maps, and aside from what seems abrupt dead-ends in the indoor sections, the design and detailing are clean. Strong shading, along with ambient sounds, provide for a nice atmosphere. The brevity of the indoor sections does make this level seem incredibly fleeting. More fun than a short-sheeted bed.

Overall I'd give it an 83

Forge

Bombed LA
David Layne
28 March 1998

A city map.

Everything is blown up, destroyed, and on fire. A scene of destruction starting with the wrecked-up subway system, moving to the station, and up onto the street. Buildings are half-knocked down, there are craters all over the place, and it's a lot of flotsam and jetsam strewn about. Aside from some over-sizing, and the cheesey teleportation effect to get in and out of buildings with accessible rooftops, the atmosphere is well done.
The player starts out barely armed, and the healing items are few and far in between while underground, but that changes quickly enough when the street level is reached. Duke is under fire from several directions at once, but some quick feet will reward the player with fire power and a fair amount of hitpoint recovery items. Once the street is cleared it's down to the serious business of a keycard hunt. Pretty straight forward and sequential affair. A couple bad quirks with the map include being able to skip the need for one of the keys with some creative jumping, and once the last switch is thrown, you can hear the boss roar, but don't know where it's at in the map. A view screen could have been useful here. The second bad part is the door teleportation method. Leaving the building via the front door is likely to get you killed as the boss always seems to hover right outside that building and is ready to squish the player the moment they step outside. Finding the jetpak and going up through the manhole is the best strategy here. Failing to do that, be quick enough and you might get away from being stepped on. More fun the Russian roulette.

Overall I'd give it a 78

Puritan

Great submission, Forge.
Uploaded  :)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I know it's not much, but here's the template cyrell used with his four maps.
(it's the one that's included with mansion! that's already hosted here)

here's what's left of his old website - where he links his "cyrell" name with "the master" name.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050320123728/http://www.cyrell.net:80/gamesduke3d.html