Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

House of Pain
Alex JV. (Kneiiden)
23 February 2016

A Quake3 map, DM2, one of the few ones that can be done properly for playing duke. It's a small map, good for 2-4 players and fast enought. It was filled with weapons to keep the action up and the autoclosed door was removed for the same reason. (Quake 3 version had only 3 weapons and autoclose door cant be opened by shooting on duke properly enought). Also, since the map is filled with many columns structures that may interfere on a fast movement and stuck players, many blocking "invisible" walls were created to keep people movement smooth while playing.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Urban Assault Space Level
Rob Wijkstra (HighWire)
25 April 2002

This level was originally for the cancelled Duke3d TC 'Urban Assault'.
A lunar mine styled level.

It's a pretty short and basic map. There's not a lot to it, a shuttle launch bay, some mine tunnels, a control center, a lab, crews quarters, and a warehouse. The construction is simple and clean, and the texture set is typical for moon bases and alien hive.
Game play is a key card hunt. Basically enter a room off the control center hub, grab the key, unlock another room, grab the key; repeat until complete.
This was supposed to be the boss map at the end of an episode, so as a stand-alone level a few issues may occur, depending on variations in game play. There are no healing items in the map, so be prepared to suck toilet water. Weapons and ammo are extremely limited. Bullet management is a must if you're going to have enough to kill off the boss. Avoid confrontation with enemies, if at all possible, and use kicks and the environment, like door crushes, when the opportunities arise. It's not easy, but it's doable. More fun than a bread and water diet.

Overall I'd give it a 72

Duke64Nukem

Yeah nice to see some reviews coming in.
"It's Time To Make Tracks" - Dinosaur Hunter

Forge

REDNECK DUKE
JON HUNT
1 June 1997

A small town corner store and warehouse inspired by Redneck Rampage.

The game-play premise is switches. A lot of switches. Find the switch, throw the switch, now find the door that opened so the next switch can be located and thrown. The layout is pretty linear, and several sections require quite a bit of travel back-and-forth over the same turf, but there are some respawns to keep Duke company and guide him on where to go. Generally it's a pretty easy map to figure out with the exception of one hidden switch at the beginning of the level. It's a bit unfair to hide something necessary for progression behind a hidden door in a fireplace, but the accessible areas at that point are pretty limited, so patient players would probably find it.
Aesthetically the map isn't overly impressive. It's not very detailed, and the architecture is pretty simple, but the use of the redneck textures and some strong shading help give it just enough atmosphere to provide depth. Some redneck ambient sounds could have really helped with the immersion.
There may be a generous supply of health and ammunition, but the fire-fights are still decently scripted out to make the experience mostly enjoyable. Just don't expect a huge challenge, this is more for casual play. More fun than mud.

Overall I'd give it a 80

Forge

Space 1999
David McIntosh
15 December 1996

An EDF moonbase themed level.

Visually the map isn't all that impressive. Big walls of texture with no trim work or detailing, almost no shading, and some over-sizing. The payoff is the layout and combat.
The floor plan spans back and forth across a central chasm at varying elevations. It passes through control rooms, communication centers, a space shuttle hanger, various caverns, caves and channels cut into moon rock.
Duke is armed with multiple weapons and a fair amount of ammunition to face off against a variety of aliens. The challenge is the scarcity of healing items. There's enough to get through if managed properly. More fun than a vacuum cleaner.

Overall I'd give it a 73

Forge

Dukenstein Revisited
Duke64Nukem (kamikaze Nukem)
26 November 2014

A medeval castle styled map.

Duke must make his way through a short forest, infiltrate a keep, and kill all the aliens doing nasty alien things in a fireplace. Aesthetically there's not a lot going on in this map. Detailing is sparse, architecture is minimal and blocky, and there's a lot of open empty space. At least the texturing is decent, and the shading is done well.
The level is mostly about wandering around trying to find real doors and an occasional key card. That, and shooting aliens. There are lots of aliens that need bullets. Quite a bit of the first portion of the level consists of sniping aliens with the pistol and living to tell about it. That's the only weapon given, and there's very little health to be had. Luckily the arsenal does pick up a bit to speed up progress, and restoration items get more frequent. More fun than an empty milk carton someone put back in the fridge.

Overall I'd give it a 80

Puritan

Excellent, Scott.
Thanks a lot  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Duke Canyon
John Mooney
1 June 1996

Simple little dukematch level, nice size for 2 people, gets crowded with more than 4 or 5.  Lots of opportunities to be sneaky :). It's not very complicated but I put a lot of work into making it look nice.

Forge

Duke City Remastered
Jesse McCree (StarCraftZergling)
23 October 2016

An Earth city styled map.

The level is designed to be played in different modes, so some areas are more favorably designed to be dukematch areas, some are best for single player, some combat scenarios are best suited to co-op.

The initial location is a city block around a central park. There are a couple buildings with stacks of weapons and ammunition and most of the surrounding buildings with interiors are just there for exploring, or usage for Dukematch. Triggering the alien invasion respawn in the park is definitely geared towards co-op, as setting it off in single player is pretty much suicidal.
Visually, some of the sprite-work has clipping and disappearing issues, but otherwise the entire city section is decently constructed and detailed.
The actual single-player mission involves using teleportation chambers to visit multiple locations with various themes that range from Doom, to original Duke3D, to previous maps made by the author. Just be sure to load up on weapons and ammunition. A couple sites are mostly harmless, while others are packed with aliens.
Once in these locations a button must be found. Most are out in the open, or involve some minor puzzle, like keys, or raising platforms. In one, the player is expected to have certain video game and cartoon trivia knowledge in order to solve a multi-button puzzle. Not everything is universally known, so *spoiler*: if you don't know stuff about pokemon, minecraft, or other various subjects, the answers are Link, 2011, Pauline, Rush, Tails, Arceus.
Once all the buttons are activated another teleport pad becomes available between the movie theater and the teleportation station. This takes the player to a large open sporting area courtyard with an alien dropship; thus a huge battle ensues. Definitely a co-op battle of ridiculous proportions due to lack of healing items, but it can be done solo using a couple different strategies. More fun than touching a stove burner to see if it's hot.

Overall I'd give it an 80

Forge

Dukenow
Ady
17 March 1999

A dukematch in a library. Lots of aliens. Lots of weapons and ammunition. Only a couple healing items in a few secret locations behind hidden doors.

Forge

Station 61
Anna Ahlstrom
2 March 1997

A resort space station.

The map is primarily for DukeMatch, but has some single player elements. Mainly aliens, a key card with lock, and an exit button. Aesthetically it's interesting. The architecture and detailing are good, it has a few ambient sounds, and there is a plethora of palette applications. The down side is the complete lack of shading and the mostly open floor plan that is good for multiplayer, but tends to lead to a lot of aimless wandering in single player.
Again, the primary purpose of the map lends to there being more firepower and healing items than is necessary for the enemy presence, but it can be fun to find the most powerful weapon at hand and just lay waste to some baddies. More fun than aroma therapy.

For single player purposes I'd give it a 73

Forge

DUKESKI
Steve Wiggins (T Wigs)
30 March 1997

An earth city styled map.

Duke is supposed to make his way through town to reach a space shuttle launch pad in order to catch a ride and rendezvous with some aliens for an orbital date. Unfortunately other aliens are jealous and are trying to stop him.
This map is a mix between pretty good and a hot mess. On one hand some areas are nicely detailed, have strong shading, and look nice. There are quite a few ambient sounds and the scenery changes up often to keep the player interested. On the other hand, there are several open empty areas with little going on and with simple texturing and structures. There are also several invisible blocking walls, and most serve no purpose because the end of the street is pretty much right beyond it. In one instance, the invisible wall doesn't cover the entire street and sidewalk section, so the player can walk right past it and around the corner to the dead end. They also get to set off a one-time sound in the out-of-bounds area for their effort. So bonus.
The layout and premise are also a mixed bag. It's a key card hunt. The yellow key is unnecessary. It unlocks the lower floor of a control room. The blue key is incredibly hard to find as it's behind an unmarked wall with a desk placard as the only clue. The blue key is also supposed to be necessary, but isn't. It opens an elevator door on the lower floor of the control room, but upper floor of the building can be access by jumping off a set of crates conveniently stacked high enough and placed right outside the upper floor's window. If you're curious enough to drop down to the lower section to see what's there and haven't used the yellow key yet, you could get stuck, or you could jump onto the blue lock, which is a blocking sprite, then jump back up to the top floor balcony.
The floorplan is an open world with a plethora of areas that are basically optional, but they do reward the player with supplies and weaponry. Weaponry is one of the top priorities when starting off because this map has a continuous flow of liztroops, pigcops, and enforcers. Just about every new area explored spawns more enemies to block your path back the way you came, so the action is fairly constant. That's pretty much the best thing about this map. More fun than cul-de-sac.

Overall I'd give it a 73

Puritan

You're keeping me busy, sir  ;D
Much appreciated.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

i hate when I don't catch grammar errors until it's too late

"make his way through town to get reach a space shuttle" ?

Who's 'reach', and why is Duke trying to get him a space shuttle?  :P

Forge

The Courtyard
Drek
23 January 2014

A fun DM map for 2 - 8 players. Shotguns, and chainguns mostly, the map also has 2 Devastators, an RPG, and 1 box of Pipe Bombs. An atomic health and 1 medkit with a few health boxes scattered around.