Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Duke Royale Remake
arzca
4 September 2016

An earth city styled map.

It's a remake of Duke Royale,from the PSX exclusive episode "Plug and Pray". As far as the recreation aspect goes, it's pretty accurate. As for the level itself, including the original, it's a pretty plain map with very minimal dealing and blocky architecture. The texturing is done with a huge paintbrush; basically just filling in large sections completely with the same tile. The shading is hit or miss, and there are very few lighting effects or ambient sounds to give the level any depth. The map isn't completely devoid of atmosphere, there are a few highlights like the underground garage, but they are the exception, not the rule.
As a stand-alone level, it's pretty tough. There are quite a few aliens and very little fire-power. Enough to get by on, but the infrequent encounters with healing items is what really makes the map a challenge. Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward key card hunt. More fun than solo strip poker.

Overall I'd give it a 78

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Kbbowlme
Kodiak Bear
21 August 1998

A bowling alley themed map.

The level consists of a bit of parking lot and the bowling alley structure itself. While it does have issues; like the lack of shading, some over-sizing, and being short in length, it makes up for it with nice detailing, good texture combinations, good usage of sector effects and ambient sounds, and some pretty well set up combat scenarios.
Find the one key card and head straight for the exit, or snoop around a little and get well armed. Either way its pretty entertaining. More fun than cotton socks on a freshly waxed floor.

Overall I'd give it a 78

Forge

Urban Duker!
Roel Noorman
12 June 1997

An urban dukematch level. Lots of sniper spots and secrets. It is relatively small so you don't spend half the time looking for each other.

Forge

San Duke Nukem
Félix de la Concepción (de la Cuerda)
9 March 1997

Designado únicamente para DukeMatch. Recomendado 4-8 jugadores para máxima diversión.

Puritan

^Thanks a lot, Scott.
Now, we've reached 1300 maps in the repository.
Still quite a few in my pile though  :D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I'm going through all my maps to see if there's anything worthwhile.
Especially DM maps, which I've mostly ignored, unless they were by a known and popular mapper.

But between computer issues with my psu & testing some things out for people, I haven't had as much time or opportunity as I'd like.
The things I've been submitting lately are items I stockpiled over a month ago. I'm almost out.

Forge

Purple Duke 1
Chris Villarreal
20 June 1996

Doom levels have been done to death so I tried to use Build's strengths ( level over a level, etc.) I think you will enjoy the result.  Two player is great, 3+ rocks.  The doors on the level are opened/closed with the switches, and do not shut automatically.

Forge

ARAB CITY
Lado Crnologar
30 September 1996

This map was build with extreme dukefights in mind. It has the environment based on Navy Seals movie (starring: Charlie Sheen, Michael Biehn). Many of 'Lebanon' structures, there is also a tank, dark places, beach with a bar, great sniper spots, an army shop(!), missile l. boat (literally!) etc... Try it out with your friends, I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Forge

Bunker
Chris J. Goetz
12 July 1998

An underground EDF styled bunker based on a Goldeneye 007 level.

It may be just a simple series of corridors and rooms, but it's put together well enough with a reasonable amount of detailing and good texturing to give it a decent atmosphere. Some more ambient sounds and a more prolific use of shading would have helped, but it's fine enough with what it has.
This map is pretty much a survival journey. Find enough weapons, health, and ammunition to make it through the phalanx of aliens and reach the outside exit. One wrong turn, or room entered when not properly armed, is almost certain doom. The player can survive by running, but eventually the overwhelming numbers of enemies chasing Duke around will catch up to him and put him in a corner.
There is one red key which gives access to a room containing a switch. The switch opens a weapons stash later in the level, so while helpful, isn't really necessary to complete the map. More fun than army ants.

Overall I'd give it an 80.

Forge

City at War
Joce Charland
13 August 1996

A city level. You can go in and out of buildings, plenty of weapons and ammo, lots of sniper spots, and enough RPG's for a blood fest.

Forge

CityLife
Adam
25 June 1996

A street with a few shops and a subway-like track around its exterior perimeter. It's not very big so it's probably best for around 4 players.

Forge

CITY_DM
Jason Lee
17 February 1997

A skyscraper rooftop Dukematch. Space and mobility might be an issue with more than 4 players. There's room, but the layout might be prohibitive.

Forge

Bunkerd
Dinavix
2 February 2003

An underground military styled bunker. It's pretty large, so the more Dukematch players, the better.

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

The Alien City
Mark Weagel
10 April 1999

A city styled map.

A pretty nice medium sized piece of a town consisting of a couple alleyways, a bar, and a storage warehouse. The shading, texturing, and detailing are done in a nice traditional 3DR style. Ambience is capped off with ample lighting and sound effects. The only design issue is that a few rooms and corridors can be pretty cramped and hard to get around in, which is only troublesome when engaging with enemies.
Game play involves finding key cards, shooting the hordes of aliens, and wall cracks. Lots and lots of wall cracks. Just about every fourth wall has a crack in it. Some create shortcuts, others lead to stashes, some are just there for the hell of it. The flow of the map is quite smooth up until the red key-locked room. For some reason the author decided to put a required switch in a secret room in order to access the yellow key. The view screen in that red-locked room doesn't provide much of a clue, other than the secret room is probably hidden somewhere in the crate-filled alley near the red-locked door. This ruins progress in an otherwise nicely done level. More fun than breaking your mother's back.

Overall I'd give it an 84