Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

Thanks a lot, Forge.
I'm not sure what the latest map is more fun than though  :D

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  24 September 2018, 18:41:47
abrupt and unexpected endings.

re-read the last two sentences  ;)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  24 September 2018, 21:23:41
Quote from: Puritan on  24 September 2018, 18:41:47
abrupt and unexpected endings.

re-read the last two sentences  ;)

Ahh....of course  ;D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

DReDwaR       
LaYBaK
13 December 1996

This is my -TEN- map. I have spent more time on it then i did digging my way to China. PS. I am aware that its alil big but thats just the way it ended up......Anyhow, I Hope you all enjoy it.

Forge

The Center
David McIntosh
12 March 1997

An EDF styled missile base.

The map takes its inspiration from the original maps Launch Facility and It's Impossible. The outdoor section is a short jaunt of climbing rock terraces to open a bunker door in a cliff face, while rain falls and lightning strikes. Most of the indoor sections are made up of concrete and steel with several control rooms and grating-floored platforms. The shading is pretty weak in a lot of areas, but generally the level is well constructed and detailed.
Game play is primarily a key-card hunt. It's pretty straight forward, but some odd design choices allow for keys to be bypassed, and there are a couple instances of uneventful back-and-forth over the same ground that could have been easily avoided. The supply to alien ratio is slightly in Duke's favor, and even more-so if several secret stashes are found and the player manages to set off most of the pig-tanks self destruct buttons. There are a lot of them, and a good portion of them are jammed into corridors, so it's not an easy thing to do, but it can be done. Just keep in mind that a couple of bad or careless encounters with those tanks will cost a lot of health. More fun than okra.

Overall I'd give it an 82

Forge

Doomsday
Children
5 April 1999

A very nasty map without jetpack and with very little life, to play at least 3 minimum, whose style of play is a bit the same as in a Doom2 or Shadow Warrior.

Forge

Helltown
Igor Willems (Iggy)
16 May 2005

A city styled map.

The level is broken into three main sections: a park, a war-torn city block, and a temple. The majority of it is well constructed, detailed, and shaded, so the visual atmosphere is pretty decent. There are a few barren rooms and corridors, and not very many sounds, but it is quite a lage map, so a few things can be overlooked.
The park section does have a bit of a flow issue as the player can find themselves well into the map before dead-ending and having to back-track if they choose the wrong path. The wrong path being the one where the player jumps from the bridge railing to the top of a waterfall. Probably unintentional as they're supposed to find the jetpack first and then fly up.
Next is the destroyed street section which is a bit less linear than the other locations. The player is supposed to search the library, hotel, and rooftops in order to find the red key. There are two red locks; one is the correct path, one leads to a fight which wastes health and ammo. A lot of side areas and places that don't need to be visited are along this strip.
The third and final part is a gothic styled temple. Pretty much a long wide corridor that finally ends at the sanctuary structure. There is a rather unobtrusive side passage with supplies to be found, if it isn't accidentally passed by.
The map is action packed from start to finish. The constant in-your-face fights are accompanied by lots and lots and lots of respawns. Everything and everywhere causes respawns. More fun than powder-burn.

Overall I'd give it an 86

Forge

War3d
Ratone
12 November 2009

War3d is one of those maps one group can play until morning, some places where to escape and avoid hits, damned fast map, nice movements possible for a long time fun, a classic.

Forge

Caverns
John M. Turner
11 April 1998

Its time to Duke it out in a maze of caverns hidden under the towering Rocky Mountains.  Attempt to underground rivers, and underground lakes.  Only the best will be able to survive.

Forge

Ghost Town Xmas
Duke64Nukem

Requires the Nuclear Winter Addon

A snow covered old west styled town. The main street, a cave system, a saloon, and a gun shop make up the majority of the map. It's well detailed and has a nice atmosphere, if you have time to look past all the aliens that are trying to kill you.
The premise is to exterminate a bunch of baddies while searching the town for a key. Find the key, and kill a bunch more baddies until you find the next key. Acquiring the last key is a bit confusing, as it spawns back in town somewhere. Even if you follow the freshly minted horde of snowpigs, it's still not obvious where the last key was put. Otherwise the map flows pretty smooth, and there is a decent amount of ammo and health evenly distributed around the level. More fun than snow-blindness.

Overall I'd give it an 83

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/G/ghostx/ghostx.php

Puritan

^Great.
Much appreciated  ;)
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

doomtoo
Michael Hoffman
2 June 1996

Modified doom 1 episode 2 map 7.

Typical of a Doom map, it has next to no detailing, simple architecture, and no ambient lights or sounds. The atmosphere is dependent upon shading, texturing, occasional effects, and the varying elevations from climbing or descending the numerous staircases and lifts. It's sufficient, but not that immersive.
Game play is mostly about shooting the masses of aliens while a few of keys are incidentally collected. The floor-plan is linear at first, with a convenient teleport pad back to the blue lock if you can find it. The second portion is just one big loop with several side rooms. Lots of baddies and loads of ammunition. Healing items are fairly abundant as well, so run-and-gun as you desire. More fun than makin' bacon.

Overall I'd give it a 74

Forge

rolandtownv2
Noldor Ranzou
1 July 2013

Urban styled map suited best for an 4-8 players Dukematch. It consists basically of an hotel with a bar, some rooms and a billiard room on the second floor. Some of the other buildings can be accessed too. Enjoy

Forge

e4m6gold
Jonah Bishop
19 April 1997

A version of E4M6 of DOOM.

Pretty much an ooze flooded fortress with a rather haphazard layout. The atmosphere is well done, with some nice texture combinations and strong shading. The architecture is pretty solid, it's decently detailed, and there are a few sound effects to add to the ambience. It's a very immersive level, just a very difficult one to figure out and live through.
It's pretty much an open floor, except for the three barred-off platforms that require keys. Add in some masked walls, invisible switches, being able to jump around and platform to advanced locations, and several hidden doorways; it all adds up to wandering around with no sense of progression.
Now dump in some mini-battlelords and a ton of pigcops with very little firepower and limited ammunition. It can get pretty hectic. There's one RPG that can be acquired, but you have to find the right hidden passage, and sneak in behind a mini-battlelord in order to grab it. Otherwise you'll end up trying to lure several battlelord sentries into the main ooze pit with the hope of avoiding them, and if they all don't fully cooperate, it can make the map near impossible to finish. Also fighting off the droves of pigcops and a dozen or so fat commanders with a shotgun and limited ammo is another tedious and almost pointless exercise. The map is tough, but do-able. Save a lot. More fun than kissing a porcupine.

Overall I'd give it an 82

http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/A/against/against.php

Forge

E1M5
Cort Stowe
31 May 1996

E1M5 From Doom 1 converted for Duke3d.

Despite what the template says in reference to E1M1, the map is actually E1M5. The discrepancy will remain a mystery, unless you know the person and ask. Anyway, this does look like a typical Doom map; dull, no shading, no trimwork or detailing, and wholesale texturing in bulk.
The layout and gameplay are decent enough. One of the few Doom remakes that isn't swamped with weapons and healing items. It's still a shoot-em-up, but you can manage to get yourself dead if you don't watch your health. There are a couple side areas with some extra weapons to boost your arsenal if you aren't satisfied with the jib count. More fun than tetanus.

Overall I'd give it a 69