Last map you played

Started by Puritan, 02 December 2011, 08:14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

4 PLAYERS DEMO
Ray Tracer
11 November 1998

A sky castle with an outter ring and an inner sanctum.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Forge

Eat The Rich
ScottL (Forge)
7 July 2014

A penthouse styled apartment.

This was released as an individual map on steam to advertise for the Duke Hard episode. The episode was a community build project which consisted of several levels designed by multiple mappers whom where given a common base blueprint with which to make their own custom skyscraper floor.

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  24 October 2018, 01:30:02
Eat The Rich
ScottL (Forge)
7 July 2014

A penthouse styled apartment.

This was released as an individual map on steam to advertise for the Duke Hard episode. The episode was a community build project which consisted of several levels designed by multiple mappers whom where given a common base blueprint with which to make their own custom skyscraper floor.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qq3o8kk0x0wiypb/eat_the_rich.zip/file

A nice revisit it was.
Added to the server, of course.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

UPTOWN.MAP
Mark Hanchey (Panther2)
13 June 1996

Fairly large level designed for deathmatch but has monsters and is very challenging in single play (no exit), lots of secret passageways. Train that circles the town.

Forge

Wicked Warehouse Ultimate
Matt Wood  (Rock_Sockm)
18 March 1997

A small warehouse map with conveyors, control rooms, underwater shafts, and a few rooms full of crates. The texturing and shading are well done, and the map is nicely detailed and provides ambient sounds for that extra depth to the atmosphere.
Primarily a multiplayer map, there is a path for a single player to follow which requires navigating to a few switches to drop some force-fields, finding and using a key to get through an underwater section, and ending at an exit button. For a multiplayer map, the single player experience is fairly well balanced against the scattering of various types of aliens. The only downside is that it's pretty short. More fun than waiting on a package to be delivered.

Overall I'd give it an 83

Forge

War Of Sexshops
Tentacula
20 June 1999

A war between two sexshops in a small city.

Forge

Duke Express
Romeobk
10 October 2018

A small section of a Lunar base and the interior of the Planet Express ship from Futurama.

The map has a very immersive atmosphere with articulate detailing, ambient sounds, and some nice texture combinations. It could have used some stronger shading and more effects, but with a large amount of resources going towards construction and detailing, it might not have been feasible. The Lunar space port is very clean, like a hermetically sealed space base, and decorated out as a futuristic airport. A large bank of view-ports gives a neat exterior view of the Planet Express ship in its docking station. The interior of the ship is clean where you'd expect it, like on the bridge and in Captain Leela's quarters, but a pigsty in Fry and Bender's bunk room. Other areas are metallic, industrial, and functional. As the player explores they get to enjoy a lot of Easter eggs and familiar locations if they ever watched the show with any frequency.
Game play is a maze. The ship has many decks and several ladders. At first a lot of it is inaccessible except for the main hallways on each level, so you must find the reactor room and turn the power on. This opens doors and now the game of hide and seek begins. Start searching through the ship, checking each door until you find the open ones. Explore each room until you find an obscure switch behind a panel; this allows access to a crawl-space between the decks. Don't accidentally go the wrong way or walk too fast, you might pass up the access panel. Reach the medical room at the end of the shaft and get a key. Solve the 6 button puzzle for some supplies. Go back to the key locked door, go into another shaft and get another key. Solve an eight button puzzle, then find the obscure door somewhere on the ship that allows access to the bridge. Unlock the escape pod and your done. The layout can be confusing until you get used to it. The excessive button puzzles are annoying. A lot of the rooms and corridors are pretty cramped, so it makes navigating around difficult at times. At least the map is balanced, and there's a generous amount of healing items to make up for getting stuck on some piece of architecture while aliens are shooting you full of holes. More fun than a shiny metal ass.

Overall I'd give it a 92

Forge

Townlet
Kodiak Bear
15 September 1996

A small city block.

Mainly a Dukematch level re-purposed to accommodate single-player; the floor-plan is pretty wide open, but there are a few issues if this is going to be taken on solo.
Don't go down into the sewer without finding the jetpak first. There's no way out except to die. Secondly, the one key in the map is really annoying to locate. Even though this map is pretty small, unless you get lucky, you'll end up exploring, and re-exploring, and re-exploring again every inch it. You'll flush quite a bit of your time down the toilet. Let that sink in.
Aside from the sewer and central plaza, it's three apartment buildings and a bank. Each building is only a few rooms deep, so there's not a lot of territory to cover, but it keeps Dukematch duelers in close quarters. Design-wise this level is okay. The architecture is pretty solid except for a couple cramped door-ways. The detailing, as well as the shading, are pretty basic, but adequate.
For the single-player aspect, it's survival for the initial portion as the map is packed with aliens, but very few readily available weapons and health. Once that central plaza is cleared and a couple extra guns are found, it's pretty simple to isolate and pick off the rest of the foes. More fun than a pencil sharpener.

Overall I'd give it a 67

Forge

close combat
Jasper Drop
11 July 1996

A hotel and city street. first level, no it doesn't suck, but it's pretty basic stuff

Forge

War Zone
TriaSSiCus
8 September 1998

A city block.

It's an ordinary street scene at first glance, but getting outside and going around the corner reveals a scene of mass destruction. A Cycloid Emperor has taken up residence in the central park and has been blowing holes in all the surrounding buildings. Several structures are nearly razed to the ground and are in the process of burning the rest of the way down, shrapnel and debris are scattered everywhere, and it's a total scene of destruction.
Aside from the emperor, the area is loaded with pesky liztroops that chip away at your health while you're trying to get around and collect enough fire power to take down the boss. Healing items are very limited, so it can get pretty sketchy at times, and care has to be taken not to rush headlong into an ambush.
The map is not very large, but sized for a typical end-of-episode boss map. Other than a few blocky structures it's well constructed, detailed, and shaded, so it has a nice presentation and atmosphere. More fun than licking lizards.

Overall I'd give it an 82

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

WHITE NOISE
uLTra
18 June 2018

*requires Duke Nukem 3d 20th Anniversary World Tour for TILES021.ART and TILES022.ART. Will work with the Atomic Grp file as long as the included con files are used.
Polymer is also recommended. The load on most computers will be pretty light and won't dramatically affect the fps.

An urban map. But was it a dream?

The level visits many locations while Duke navigates through a couple city blocks. Apartments, streets, a restaurant, and a subway, to name a few. The guy gets around. It's all quite well detailed and nicely textured with some solidly built architectural structures. The ambient sounds do fluctuate from frequent to none, and the shading is minimal in most areas since it gets most of it's lighting atmosphere from the polymer effects.
The map can be pretty tough in a few locations; either due to the minimal amounts of ammunition found in the map, or the slightly confusing path. Avoid enemies if you can, or hope for generous alien drops. If you get lost or confused about where to go, look up. The layout is done well, but some of the platforming is pretty subtle in its presentation. More fun than an empty toilet tissue roll.

Overall I'd give it an 87

Forge

Trick`n trap
o_0MercHant0
20 January 2015

A small industrial map with a central room and a corridor around its circumference.

Forge

Crash
Sunstorm Interactive
18 January 1997

A city block.

A pretty short and simple key card hunt. There's not much in the way of detailing or scenery in this level. Just some basic architecture with simple texturing and good shading. Most areas are non-descript and unadorned, but there appears to be an office building, an apartment complex, a parking garage, a section of a plaza with a shop or two, a maintenance room, and a section of street. The map flows well and combat is balanced, but the lack of sounds, effects, and minimal scenery make the experience somewhat flat. More fun than vanilla.

Overall I'd give it a 73

Forge

Warfate
Iggy
19 December 2002

Now let me see you campers hide in this maps. It's a very simple but straight concept hopefully a good guarantee for hardcore deathmatches. There are two flavors concerning Warfate, one has alientextures and the other nature ones. You can dive underwater in both version, btw, don't mind the lava-stuff. Best for 2-4 players.