About large files

Started by Puritan, 03 January 2012, 17:39:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Puritan

This is primary a Duke Nukem site and therefor the map base is for DN3D maps/mods.
Imperium and The AMC TC is something I uploaded to honour the authors since we've walked a long road together.

I could upload 400 vanilla maps for the same required server space that those TC's are "eating".
My server capacity isn't unlimited.
So basically, there will be no more uploads of such large TC's here.

It's hard to set an absolute limit for the submitted files. But since this is a Duke site I think that  the 'feel' of the mod should be within the DN3D universe. A good example would be "CrackDown" by EmericaSkater with a zipped file about 18Mb's.

And the TC community have their own playground at Moddb and other sites.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Agree. It should be a case by case assessment until you get about 600 maps hosted, then you can look at how much room is left over for the large projects.

Another alternative is to start charging or advertising to pay for the extra space. I don't think anyone wants that.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

James

Don't worry about hosting the AMC TC - I definitly appreciate it but I think the Duke4.net mirror and the one at moddb is more than enough (The last I think hosts it at multiple mirrors as well) I'll also have to update the TC in the future soon as well so it would be outdated as well :) If you change the review to point at this page than that should cover any download problems.

Puritan

Done  ;)

Thank you, James!
More space for Duke maps.

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

It may not be a popular decision, but you could gut the Dukeplus out of Imperium which would reduce the file size by around half, then provide a link to Dan's fissile page.

just an option for space if it comes down to it

Micky C

Why would that not be a popular decision? It makes sense and I don't see a problem with it.

QuoteAnother alternative is to start charging or advertising to pay for the extra space

Advertising? Doesn't that need a lot of people to visit the site to generate a reasonable income? I don't quite think we quite have the numbers..
Wall whore.

Gambini

IIRC the Dukeplus included with Imperium is a cut version and most likely has some special code for launching the episode and such. I don´t think that the space saved by removing it from the mod would be worth the risk, better link to an "official" mirror just as with AMC TC.

Forge

Quote from: Gambini on  04 January 2012, 03:06:52
IIRC the Dukeplus included with Imperium is a cut version and most likely has some special code for launching the episode and such. I don´t think that the space saved by removing it from the mod would be worth the risk, better link to an "official" mirror just as with AMC TC.

This is what I wasn't sure about

here's the modDb link to The Imperium

http://media1.gamefront.com/moddb/2011/08/23/Imperium2011.zip?b17f4b620c6cf1393ffa644d1ceea1519471f50243241c9c351f544aefaeb617054856f45e07ae230795c14b30a53906a278cc670925e173f638b5fd33bd228b8f1497d3d3fae3f80d4c06c4ac872b4fa08bdb660a9f3373ca191ef3c518e9e1eb3dabc2152cedac8dbdf6562716782a10e3