Parkade released!

Started by Micky C, 05 January 2012, 11:07:45

Previous topic - Next topic

pbolduc

Due to some obvious texture mistakes and texture alignment problems that have been brought to our attention since the release we are currently revisiting the map to make some necessary corrections. Thanks for your patience and understanding while we make these final touch-ups. This is not my fault! Just kidding!

Micky C

I've noticed a problem on the page about my map. It shows the old map template when I press the map template button, would it be too much trouble to update it to the one in the zip? Although it looks like we're going to update the whole thing in about a day anyway.

The main problem with the template is that it has SuperTanker's beta testing comments underneath which I did to make it easier to send to Paul over msn. It also has a tip about potential problems with killing the final boss.
Wall whore.

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Merlijn

Alas, my computer also can't run polymer properly. I played it in 8-bit. Ignoring the glitches this renderer gives, I must say the TROR looks truely impressive! You guys did a great job integrating it into the level structure, the map felt truely 3d and I also loved how most buildings had multiple 'levels' and even accessible rooftops.

(I would love to see what Gambini would do with this feature, but that's another point).

I thought the gameplay was quite confusing, it wasn't very obvious where to go. This map could use some polishing here and there, like others mentions some indoor locations could use better trimming and textures. But overall it still looked good and this map is certainly worth the download. :)

pbolduc

Merlijn,

The map is confusing for finding keycards because of its size and the amount of different keycards there are. Also including a multi switch to initiate the end Boss is also tricky and we've tried the best we can to identify that both buttons need to be pressed without looking cheesy. For the most part we haven't  hardly had any feedback on that process which is a good thing. Most people can figure it out without too much difficulty. Unfortunately people are attacking our map because of how it runs on "their" computer which is unfortunate because that's kind out of our control as it runs just fine on my system. But when using multiple keycards in a non linear map one has to make a compromise. The Security View screens are designed to give the player some pointers as to his objectives depending on which area Duke is located in. Obviously you didn't use the view screens much when playing the map. They are pretty much manditory for finding the useful rooms you need to get to. Having it non linear actually makes the map more fun because there are many different ways a person can tackle the map heading in so many different directions and never having the same battle twice.

Thanks for your comments and i'm glad to see you enjoyed the map.

Merlijn

Don't get me wrong, I know those visual glitches aren't your fault.. I hope there's a way to get TROT working properly in 8-bit or polymost though, but again that's beyond your control. As for the confusion, it was pretty late when I played it and I was pretty tired. I'll probably give this map another shot now that I know more of the lay-out..

Forge

an open and very non-linear layout can be a little intimidating, especially on a large scale. this map is definitely not "move from point A to point B". It requires extensive exploring.
In situations like these, I always pick a direction and just go. Eventually I'll end up back where I started and know where everything is at.
The design in this map is such that no matter which direction you chose, you'll find supplies and have a decent chance at surviving. Albeit that some paths are easier than others, but none of them are impossibly unfair.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Quote from: Puritan on  07 January 2012, 14:18:01
Done  ;)

Thanks Puritan :)

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I know those visual glitches aren't your fault.. I hope there's a way to get TROT working properly in 8-bit or polymost though, but again that's beyond your control. As for the confusion, it was pretty late when I played it and I was pretty tired. I'll probably give this map another shot now that I know more of the lay-out..

TROR is already more stable in classic than you'd think is possible. Previously whenever there were child sectors on screen (such as the 3D desks in my office building), HOM would occur everywhere behind the islands. This was a limitation of the renderer, not some unfinished feature or bug. But Helixhorned did something funky and now it works 95% of the time, which is extremely impressive given the limitations. Polymost doesn't seem to be finished though, but it's probably considered a low priority. Polymer will replace polymost, and classic will always be classic.

There's also a way that you can greatly increase the chance that TROR will work around islands in polymost and classic: Break up the sectors around the corners of the to-be child sector before extending them. Of course Paul and I just thought it'd be easier to take the lazy route and make it polymer exclusive. That way the TROR was 100% bug free, and allowed us to make fairly complicated constructions. It also saved us some much needed walls by not having to use multiple sectors. We found ourselves in a wall crisis fairly early on, which was a big reason for the lack of trimming in some areas.
Wall whore.

pbolduc

Hi guys,

Here is the final version of Parkade.map with all the updates that will ever happen.

I hope you enjoy the map now that we've had an opporunity to fix some of the complaints.

Enjoy,
Paul & Micky

pbolduc

Gosh just when you think you've got a final working copy of the map something unexpected happens.

I've tried hard not to spam this map on the forms but unfortunately something has come up that I forgot to fix before posting the map. I've gone over it and over again to make sure now everything is as it is suppose to be.

Sorry Guys,
Sincerely Paul

Puritan

I'm at work atm so I'd say you got 9 hours to eventually fix more issues before I upload the latest version  ;D
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

pbolduc

Thanks Puritan,

Instead of uploading the map to your forums again, would you mind if i just sent you a download link from the Duke4net forums?

It can be updated from here:  http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4135

Thank you =)

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

pbolduc

Hi Puritan,

I really hate to say this... It hasn't been more than 24 hrs releasing what I thought was a final release but Mikko has already exploited our map with a serious bug. I've corrected the problem and uploaded it again on the EDuke Forums. I'm really sorry and if you don't feel like updating it I understand. But here is the updated copy just incase.

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4138

We really tried to make this map right from the start but there were so many variables. We can't apologize enough, Sorry.

MSandt

Maybe I'll go find another glitch just to piss you off :P
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark