Parkade released!

Started by Micky C, 05 January 2012, 11:07:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Quote from: MSandt on  13 January 2012, 05:18:48
Maybe I'll go find another glitch just to piss you off :P

just get on the roof of the office building, run to the back corner so you can clip the boundary and get squished  ;)
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

pbolduc

Hi Forge,

I'm not able to reproduce that problem on my end. Are you referring about the office building to the right of the player start position? I've tried all 4 corners of that building and it works just fine here. Are you sure you are using the latest release posted on the Eduke Forums of Parkade.map? I am aware that the office building to the right of the player start position can still warp Duke up to the roof by entering the front door at a strange angle. But I don't see how Duke can get squished on any of those corners. All in all I am happy with the way the map plays and for the most part it plays well in Polymer.

Puritan

Quote from: pbolduc on  10 January 2012, 03:39:53
Hi Puritan,

I really hate to say this... It hasn't been more than 24 hrs releasing what I thought was a final release but Mikko has already exploited our map with a serious bug. I've corrected the problem and uploaded it again on the EDuke Forums. I'm really sorry and if you don't feel like updating it I understand. But here is the updated copy just incase.

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4138

We really tried to make this map right from the start but there were so many variables. We can't apologize enough, Sorry.

Updated  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: pbolduc on  13 January 2012, 23:18:34
Hi Forge,

I'm not able to reproduce that problem on my end. ... Are you sure you are using the latest release posted on the Eduke Forums of Parkade.map? ...

The new one fixes that particular problem

pbolduc

Parkade.map  - A Player's Handbook

The map begins with Duke's plane being shot down by a nearby recon pig cop patrol circling a parkade. They are protecting something... but what? Duke's starting postion is facing North. Duke finds himself falling and landing in front of a big parkade door. Duke watches his plane crash into a nearby building off in the distance. Damn! Those alien bastards are going to pay for blowing up his ride... again! The Parkade door infront of Duke is locked & closed at this time. Duke's options are to: run like Hell and explore or enter one of two buildings: The East office complex or the South apartment building.

1A.) "East Office Complex" - If Duke enters the East office first he can obtain a blue keycard from the locked boardroom and make his way upstairs to unlock a bedroom door which will lead Duke to 1 of the 2 red key cards. After locating and grabbing a red keycard found on a table on the second floor Duke can head back down to the security room located on the first floor. If Duke can find the entrance into the security room he can unlock & open the entrance into the Parkade from this building.

Note: The East Office Complex can be played from either the ground floor/up or from the top floor/down. It just depends on the path Duke takes).

Using the red keycard Duke collects from the East Office building Duke can open the Parkade maintenance vault and grab the yellow keycard. The yellow keycard will unlock the Skywalk passage between the East office building and the North Tower. While in the Parkade maintenance room don't forget to flip the switch to open the garage door on the roof of the parkade.

Note: The Parkade structure can be unlocked and opened by two different locations in the map: By means of a security room in the East office building or by the West building Command Center. (It is possible to get into the parkade without unlocking the Parkade but it's not an obvious task. The Parkade can also be played from the bottom/up or from the top/down. 

At this point, Duke should probably flip the "first phase" switch on the roof of the Parkade before continuing. Duke will not be able to complete the North Tower without an additional red key. So Duke will probably want to head over to the South apartment building before attempting to tackle the North Tower. At this stage the North Tower would lead to a dead end.

Note: Duke can choose to play the South apartments from the Top/Down or from the Bottom/Up.

1B.) "The South Apartments" - If Duke chooses to enter the South apartments first Duke can obtain a blue keycard on the Lifeguard's Chair. The blue key card will open a ventilation vent in the West Building (Command Center) via a rooftop ledge in the South West corner or Duke can sneak over the to the East building using the South East ledge to immediately access the red keycard in the East Office Building.

2.) "The West Command Center" - This building was intended to be the main building used to unlock the Parkade entrance. The Command Center also provides Duke with a "red" keycard for access to the lower level Parkade vault where the yellow keycard is. The West building while mostly linear in design will give Duke the option to fight two mini bosses in the map or back track to find an alternate route.

3.) "The Parkade" – At ground level Duke can unlock the Parkade Maintenance room with the "Red" keycard taken from either the West Command Center or from the East Office complex. Inside the parkade maintenance room there is a vault with a "yellow" keycard. This is the only yellow keycard on the map and it will unlock the TROR skywalk doors between the North East corner of the map to the North Tower as mentioned earlier. At this point, Duke would want to flip the "Phase 1" switch in the garage on the roof of the parkade before reaching the yellow keycard switch in North East Office Complex.

4) "East Office Complex" - If Duke hasn't already done so, Duke will have to navigate his way through the East office complex while locating any additional keycards he may have missed before leaving the East Office Complex via the second floor TROR skywalk. This will lead Duke to the North Tower. Be prepared for a fight!

5) "The North Tower" - Provides Duke with the only jetpack found in the level and the final "Phase 2" switch. Triggering the phase two switch will only activate the final event if the "Phase 1" switch has already been activated. We recommend doing this in the right order for simplicity sake. Once both switches are activated the teleport on the roof of the parkade will malfunction causing an explosion followed by a city block battle on the roof tops with one pissed off boss and his helpers to contend with.

Note: Duke can take the battle to any building he prefers and he doesn't have to fight the end boss from just the North Tower. However, this would be the easiest method for finishing the map.

Individual Keycard Breakdown:
Blue Keycards: 2
Yellow Keycards: 1
Red Keycards: 2
Total Keycards: 5

pbolduc

Necessary update - fixed absent multi-player switches, corrected texturing problems, added a ledge to the west building top floor, &  increased map difficulty.

**** Updated map file can be found here ****
http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4271

Micky C

Perhaps hold off the update for a day or so, I haven't touched the map for a while and still need to do a proper check through the entire map to make sure everything's everything's to my satisfaction.
Wall whore.

Forge

this map has been officially "Gambini'd"  :P

pbolduc

well it was suppose to be my responsiblity to do the multi-player additions to the map. I'll be honest when I first did it I skimmed through the map really fast. I probably only spent 10 minutes designing it for multi-player.. After having the chance to play test the map from start to finish 10 times plus observe the map in eduke32 -server i noticed some very obvious mistakes i had made when I implemented the multi-player portions on the map. Since I like to create maps that focus more on multiplayer replay value i decided to revisit the map so that when it does come out people can play this map and have fun rather than curse it for having a whole bunch of minor annoyances.

Puritan

I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

pbolduc

Subtle changes, fixes, better shading, additions & enhanced details are now added to the map. we've spent the same amount of time play testing and modifying the features of this map as we have spent originally building it. This map should be completely ready for Multi-player/Co-op/Death Match/Single Player.

Michael suggested that since so much has physically changed in this map the version should be bumped from 1.05 to version 2.0.

So if you're up for giving this map another shot the polished version can be found here:
http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4495

Enjoy!

pbolduc

Forgot to mention, this map plays the best with the latest version of Eduke as of Feb 16th 2012 R2352 which it was tested with. I have also found that using the latest Eduke with this map there are also significant performance gains as well.

Puritan

Oh when I'm old and wise

pbolduc

Thanks! Now I need to rest my eyes from mapster for a while.

pbolduc

You know i'm just not cut out for this mapping at all! I just realized another problem I overlooked with Multiplayer on this map and having multiple blue keylocks introduces a big problem for multi-player. Puritan I thank you for your patience but I keep overlooking stuff on this map and after spending countless hours of play testing I still find a show stopper that needs to be fixed before multi player comes out. I know what I need to do to fix. I've actually fixed the problem right now but i fear another update will be looming again in the near future. I'll get it right one of these days. This mapping isn't easy stuff and unfortunately I don't have any play testers so i've been thoroughly testing the map making sure not to miss stuff. But i'm only human. I know I pulled this same editing crap with RCPD until I was finally happy with the final result. I will hold off for as long as I can before posting another update request. It's people like me that keep you busy on the site. I just want to say thanks for your patience. I really just want a good user experience when playing the map and I definitely want this usermap to be a favorite Death Match map\ Co-op Map when it becomes available.