Map progression

Started by Micky C, 14 February 2012, 00:07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

I didn't see any threads here and it's my turn to map so I thought I'd start it off. I didn't really know what to call the thread, but I figured we'd at least need to talk about how the map's progressing/coming along and who's going to work on it next or add what to which area.

Also, Drek's on the list? I didn't know he was a mapper, I mean I've seen him start making a map but I'm pretty sure he's only just started, and if that's the case, he definitely should not be a part of this CBP. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Otherwise I didn't know we were taking Forge's "everyone can join" motto so seriously  :P

Edit: and just to be clear, only those who are actually listed as working on the CBP can see this forum? so it's safe to post map versions and screenshots?  ???
Wall whore.

Puritan

Quote from: Micky C on  14 February 2012, 00:07:50

Edit: and just to be clear, only those who are actually listed as working on the CBP can see this forum? so it's safe to post map versions and screenshots?  ???

Here is the list of members that is able to see this board:

Micky C
Supertanker
Mike Norvak
Maarten
Merlijn
Quakis
Mister Sinister
...and Forge and me might look in here from time to time  ;D
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MikeNorvak

Okay here's the first version of the map:

http://www.mikenorvak.com/maps/1WCBP_1.rar

BTW Puritan/Forge could you update the first post with this?:

CURRENT MAPPER: MICKY C

List of confirmed mappers

• High Treason
  • Maarten van Oostrum
  • Merlijn van Oostrum
  • Micky C
  • Mike Norvak
  • Mister Sinister
  • Quakis
  • Supertanker
TBC:

• Forge
  • Wolfe
SCHEDULE

MAPPER ||||||||||||||| WEEK/DAYS ||||||||||||||| WALLS USED |||| AVAILABLE WALLS SO FAR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-Norvak ------------------  6 - 12 February ------------- 1515
2-Micky C ----------------- 13 - 19 February ------------- X
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 14,869

Thank you!

EDIT: About Drek, he sent me a PM, I haven't responded yet, and I don't think he could be part of the project, I mean we need at least 1 released map for every mapper...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Micky C

I downloaded the map mid morning on the 14th by my time, so I might take an extra day if I need it  :P

The hardest part is getting started (figuring out where to extend and how to make the transition smooth). I'm thinking of making my area really high up, giving the player a good view, but that'd mean ignoring all the build points Norvak put in. I hope someone will be able to use them.
Wall whore.

Micky C

Damn the lack of edit button!

I didn't see that high up area you sneaky bugger ;)
I know where I'm building  ;D

Might as well add a pic so people know what I'm talking about:
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

BTW could someone try the map and tell me how's the fps with polymost/classic/polymer hope it isn't to low :/

Micky C

The space city should have a name, any ideas? Maybe something that shares an acronym with CBP 8... Centuri Beta Prime 8?
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  14 February 2012, 00:40:17
BTW Puritan/Forge could you update the first post with this?:

EDIT: About Drek, he sent me a PM...

i was updating the 1st post with information from the Duke4 thread. (which still has Drek as part of the tbd list)

Just PM me what updates you want to the 1st post so we don't clog up the thread with them
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Maarten

Just replying on the screenshot: that looks really nice. Very future-ish feeling! 8)
Boo!

Mister Sinister

This sure looks good!  :)
I'd like to be 4th or 5th mapper,cause I will have much more free time in the beginning of March.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Micky C

Ok who's going to take the map next? I've been at the edge of the wall limit since yesterday, so the layout and most of the geometry is done, a lot of the texturing is done, sprite work is coming along fairly nicely. I'll probably spend more time polishing the map then actually making it.

If I pass on the map a few days early, can I add my remaining days onto my second mapping turn (the polishing turn)? There are a few bugs I might need some time to sort out for; mostly mirrors and some sprite issues in software mode (I might need help with that because I have no real mapping experience with the classic renderer).

Speaking of bugs, I tried out the map in polymost, and it is very, very glitchy, I wouldn't recommend it at all. At first I thought I broke something, so I went back to Norvak's map and it was exactly the same.

Looking down from the top TROR layer causes some very large scale flickering of the brick texture.

Same here

Sorry about the darkness here. Looking up it's mostly ok except for those bands of brown brick texture in the top left corner over the scent 88 sign.

The good news is, classic seems pretty flawless, and of course so is polymer. Would it be worth asking Helixhorned if there's anything he could do for polymost? I'm sure it can do better than this but he's considering it a lower priority than the other renderers.
Wall whore.

Forge

If polymost is broken for the level, you should make sure everyone knows not to map in it. may not make a difference, but having everyone use the same snapshot might also keep things from getting broke.

polymost is never going to get fixed, it's supposed to be phased out and replaced by polymer. They need to fix 8 bit though. Shading is all screwed up as well as how some sprites and other things are rendered.

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

MikeNorvak

@ Micky: about the first shot, I noticed there're many glitches while using the jetpack to get higher zones, but nothing as terrible as you are showing btw, I was thinking restrict the use of the jetpack in the level anyway.

About the other shot I'm really confused cos it looks with any glitch for me using polymost, that's so weird :/ Could someone else check this out? Are you sure you are using the latest snapshot?

I'm using r2344 and a clean folder.

I'm pretty sure I'm aware of every glitch in my part..... In fact those shots should look like HOM in the worst of the cases and not like the brick texture, please use the latest snapshot.

Micky C

I was also using r2344 (not a clean install, but I really doubt it would make any difference in this case), sorry I should have mentioned that. That top view is how it looks from my appartment/bachelor pad, so it's going to be pretty hard not having the player look out there like that.

I anyone going to volunteer to be third? We ought to always know who the next mapper is. Hopefully it's one of the more tallented mappers to help cancel out my own crappy work  ;)
Wall whore.

Micky C

Ok here's my section done. I tried to cover up my relatively simple architecture with flashy lights downstairs and a bachelor pad of the future that transforms its sections upstairs (I hope people like it, it's certainly a novelty). While it's 'finished', there are some minor yet troublesome relativity bit issues with the transforming parts, and the lift is quite buggy in software so I'm going to have to do some work on that.

Also, because I finished it in 3 days I hope the remaining 4 days can be added to my polishing period near the end of the map's development. I'm uploading my part on the assumption of that being the case.

Somebody better step up and start working on it pronto!
Wall whore.