Map progression

Started by Micky C, 14 February 2012, 00:07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

High Treason has volunteered to go third over at Duke4.net, so I'm giving it to him to work on, and as no one here has replied they're working on it, High Treason is officially the third and current mapper.

Come on guys, let's try to get an order going  :P

Edit: while I'm posting, I ended up using 1679 walls.
Wall whore.

Merlijn

I can go after High treason. Don't expect too much from me, I have so little spare time these days.. :(

Maarten

Since Merlijn & I build on the same pc, count me after Merlijn. But I don't have much time either, so I'll probably stick with a more simple 3DR like style, clean looking, but fun :)

The map will be with different ways / key pads / forcefield / whatever, right? That will speed things up in that case.
Boo!

High Treason

Well, I've done all I can for today (About 2 hours worth) - there's no shading in this room yet, in fact, there's not much of anything. Basically I'm building off one of the tunnels in Norvak's section, but all I have is a collapsed tunnel and a sewer which will lead to some kind of sewerage treatment plant.

I'll get back to work tomorrow, guess I'll have to shelve my other projects for a week as this will probably be more time-consuming than I expected.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Maarten

Heh, I remember that 3d-looking-spritework trick with that texture...I used it years ago in my own map, Another Big Base Attacked :) I probably wasn't the first one that got that idea tho...and if so, I'm not complaining of you using it :P

Based on the screens, I think this map will be really promising!  8)
Boo!

Maarten

Just couldn't resist to download the map.... that looks really nice, it's quite awesome actually!  :o ;D Good job, I've the feeling this could be a really cool project, so let's not rush it! 8)
Boo!

Mister Sinister

Hey,Merlijn,Maarten,can I map after High Treason?
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Merlijn

High Treason

I think I can hand this in now, I certainly can't find anything wrong with it, I even have a few enemies and items in place. My section ends where the arrow is, but I can go back and change this - i.e. Adding a Jetpack or maybe an elevator or something, I have a few walls left as I used up 1163 in total.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maarten

Nice shot. And wow, this project is going really speedy!  :o Nice!
Boo!

Puritan

I'm really impressed, guys  :o
Keep up the steam!
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MikeNorvak

The next mapper could start mapping in the left of the map to make the other part of the sub highway that finally comes to the surface of another area of the city

That's up to the mapper, but I would suggest not close the open nature of the map.

Micky C

High Treason, I'd strongly recommend using TROR in your section, it won't take up any extra walls, and it'll take like 10 seconds to implement. To join two sections via TROR that have the same  sector shape (such as the top and bottom of the drain to the sewer) you simply highlight both sectors then go ctrl-j as if you're joining two sectors. It'll then ask you some things like if which one you want to be on top and which on the bottom, and if you want to move the attached sectors as well (yes you do), and it's done. You can then make the liquid in those tanks transparent, and remove the SE teleporters from the drain.
Wall whore.

High Treason

TROR ain't my style, I'd never say this over on Duke4, but it is without doubt the worst implementation of ROR I have ever seen in this engine and it simply doesn't work for me.

That and I want good framerates, my computer doesn't like TROR. I originally had transparent water trickery with duplicate sectors, but I scrapped it in favor of the original effect.

Micky C

I don't see the point of going for the original effect when the map already makes major use of TROR, so there goes the framerate argument. If you want the water to be opaque then there's no point in RORing that but I think at least the drain should be TROR and I'd be willing to connect it up for you in the polishing stage if you want.
Wall whore.