Map progression

Started by Micky C, 14 February 2012, 00:07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

quakis

Minor updates;
Micky C - Fixed problem with wall texture (I hope)
Capt - Fixed pillar textures so they align in both states and other misalignments
quakis - Fixed typo and fixed texture misalignment near TROR vents

Forge

Quote from: Micky C on  07 July 2012, 06:08:33
So the classic renderer wasn't always this unstable? If so I ought to mention it again over at Duke4.net. They'll never do anything about it if people stop complaining.

Ask Gambini. I think it's one of the reasons he won't do anything with Duke anymore. They broke the classic renderer and ignored his complaints.

I'm not 100%, but I think they broke it around the time they started tror releases. 
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

Ok, I'll ask him.

I've made some final minor tweaks:
Made some missed out vent sprites 2 sided in Cpt. Awesome's section. Added black sprites to ends of vents to represent continuing vent shafts. Added drips coming out of vent.
Added touchplates to more sectors in the pod so it's almost guranteed the drop will occur as soon as the player lands in it.

Here's the version I'll send to beta testers, including the music. I'll send it now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t58aohgv85955e8
Wall whore.

Forge

are we going to release this with the cfg file as well?

Maybe that mode should be tested as well if that's the case. It does work with no lag as far as I could tell on my tests with it, and it would make a nice option for those who would like to use it.

edit: using classic has that limitation of how high a player can look up which kinda takes away from the view in Mike's hub and the ability to look at the bottom of the station during the pod sequence.

MikeNorvak

I've played the map, and I think it has too many enemies on indoor areas, and almost any on open areas (like the main hub) I died several times due lack of explosive ammo, the map is too hard imho, I think we could get rid of many monsters, specially on the reactor part and the dam. About the "find the eight buttons" perhaps we can remove that puzzle, or decrease the number of buttons, I don't think it is to funny to search for buttons  just to extend the duration of the map, it is already quite long. Also I felt the final somewhat anticlimactic, maybe we could move all the respawns on Quakis part after opening the spire's door to the hub.

About the music, I think I need to stick just to one or two parts, right now it is very changing and has the risk to bring down/up the tension on incorrect moments

This is the version I sent to Gambini, he said he's gonna play it tonight. I fixed some bugs with the windows on Micky's part,  removed the turrets and reduced the number of buttons on Mister S. part.

www.mikenorvak.com/maps/CBP8_beta.rar

Micky C

I think there's just the right amount of ammo. At the end I looked at what I had, subtracted what I found in the secrets, and it looked pretty good (I was fairly low).

If there's going to be an update before public release, I'd add these things to the teleporter room at the base of the tower:
Shadow behind the teleporter pad on the ceiling.
The open door light up the room effect; if the player for some reason wants to close the door, the room should go dark.

Oh, and I still can't figure out why the room at the top of the tower doesn't turn red. The tags are correct and everything  :-\
Wall whore.

Forge

I've mentioned before that the SE and (the floor of) the sector have to be different shade values for those red lights to work.

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  08 July 2012, 02:19:41
I've played the map, and I think it has too many enemies on indoor areas, and almost any on open areas (like the main hub) I died several times due lack of explosive ammo, the map is too hard imho, I think we could get rid of many monsters, specially on the reactor part and the dam.
Two mappers have said too many monsters, two mappers have said monsters are fine in relation to supplies. what do the beta testers say?
More explosive were added. Are you and Micky using different versions?

Quote from: MikeNorvak
About the "find the eight buttons" perhaps we can remove that puzzle, or decrease the number of buttons, I don't think it is to funny to search for buttons  just to extend the duration of the map, it is already quite long.

First person to mention 8 buttons too many. One person complained that the clue was too blatant.

Also I felt the final somewhat anticlimactic, maybe we could move all the respawns on Quakis part after opening the spire's door to the hub.

Agree about anti-climatic, disagree about moving spawns  -add more spawns & in the hallway at the top of the elevator used to leave quakis' section-

This is the version I sent to Gambini, he said he's gonna play it tonight. I fixed some bugs with the windows on Micky's part,  removed the turrets and reduced the number of buttons on Mister S. part.
Removed turrets? there were only like 4 left after Micky already removed several. Again, are you two on the same page?
Reduced the number of buttons in Mr S' puzzle? Then you changed that day-glow clue on the view screen right? I could stab myself in the eye with a sharp stick and still see that clue.

Changes being made without communication. (unless you two are PM'ing each other. naughty!)
Messing with that button puzzle was completely unnecessary.
You're going to do what you're going to do. Just try look around for things that may relate to what you're changing so that the mapper's section no longer looks silly and messed up (i.e. a combination on a view screen no longer making any sense)

Micky C

Looking at it, it seems that Norvak did build off my version.

I agree that reducing the button puzzle probably wasn't neccessary. I changed it so that the numbers were very, very easy to see on the viewscreen. It should be changed back, or if not, then at least the camera should be angled down more so it's actually pointing directly at the door, otherwise it looks off.

Lunick played Norvak's version, and he said that he was able to get through it just fine, he had enough ammo to fight off the guys at the end (unlike last time), and he didn't find any of the new secrets, which is a very good sign that gameplay is around the mark. He also said that the exploding columns make captain awesome's area much, much more interesting  ;D

Edit: whoops I must have missed your comment about the lights. I made the SEs a bit brighter, flipped the switch from the on to off position, and now it works fine.

I've fixed the lighting in the tower, and added the open door light effect to the teleporter room, not that it matters since it uses an activator anyway. I also applied the metal texture to the sides of the slope which were showing a little bit of tile 0. It's not a huge change, but any further updates should be made with this version.
Wall whore.

Forge

here's how your red lights are supposed to work

take you a few seconds to implement (don't forget to change the end switch from an "on" type to an "off" type or the room will be red before the switch is hit
example:
floors shade value = 0
SE shade value = -13

Micky C

I already did, see above post  :D

And this is off Norvak's version, which has some bug fixes to my windows.
Wall whore.

Forge

Didn't see that. Must have posted while you were editing

Mister Sinister

I think difficulty is okay and monster count is alright. But I agree that there isn't very much explosive ammo and we should add some, the only monsters that must removed is imho some newbeasts in Forge's part. Also some rockets must be added in Capt. A's area. Reducing the number of buttons in my part was pointless imo. Clue to this puzzle is already pretty obvious. About 8 buttons puzzle - perhaps we can replace that sign with a viewscreen, but in that case players can simply ignore this.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

quakis

Quote from: Micky C on  08 July 2012, 05:29:20He also said that the exploding columns make captain awesome's area much, much more interesting  ;D

I honestly agree, that was a neat twist you added there.

Forge

really? i liked the newbeast battle. 's the only interesting thing about my part. ah well.

Mister Sinister

I said "some newbeasts". I like it too actually, but I think one or two of them should be removed. But that's my opinion, maybe we shouldn't remove anything at all. Let's see what betatesters will say.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!