Map progression

Started by Micky C, 14 February 2012, 00:07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlijn

I also liked that newbeast battle, we can keep that one as it is. I do think the part before that (before you onlock the doors to the reactor) has too many enforcers and troopers though. They're not difficult to beat, but having so many of them makes combat too repetitive.

Forge

That's why i suggested to add a few boxes of devastator ammo right before that. Proper weapon usage would make quick work of a good portion of them, but not everyone uses the same tactics. There's plenty of supplies in that area for balance, but sticking with conventional bullet weapons has the potential to drag it out. So what people experience in that section may depend mostly on their methods.

The number of enemies encountered at any one given combat sequence prior to that area wasn't very high, so I was trying to amp it up a little as part of the progression process. This is carried on in quakis' area.

If the consensus amongst the mappers and beta-testers is to change it, then obviously it needs to be changed.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

High Treason

Sponsor has an incorrect spelling on the sign in the starting area.

Oh, and I sincerely hope the sky in my subway sector was a render bug and not another tasteless alteration.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

I think it's a renderer bug. I remember seeing it very recently but oddly enough when I checked it out in mapster it was working fine, then tested it in game and it was ok too.

Any word on Gambini? It's been over 24 hours since he said he'd check it out "tonight" so he should have played it regardless of what time zone he lives in. And are there any other mappers willing (not involved in this project) who are willing to test this? We should have at least one other than Gambini.
Wall whore.

Forge

Double check ceiling and floor heights on the sectors quakis added as an exterior view in my first room and that they don't intersect your subway sector. I thought I might have seen flickers of parallaxed sky flashing in that area when playing in classic, but I couldn't get it to repeat.

If the number of beasties are judged to need reduction in my area, remember to reduce the resources along with them. For every two aliens - remove a crate of ammo (preferably shotgun since chaingun is more effective against newbeats - but don't remove all the shotgun ammo). For every four aliens - remove a +30 health along with more ammo. I would like to keep some semblance of a challenge.

MikeNorvak

Hi, my PC power supply burned and I can't do anything more for a while (one or two weeks?) I'm sorry, if you're planning to release the map in the next days, go ahead, I can't write the template nor finishing the soundtrack :( Maybe you could use the latest version I posted (the one I sent for betatesting in the zip) but I'm not sure :S

If someone wants to write the template, here's what some have sent me:

Micky C:

"I made my part second, in about 3 days. It's the interior of the Scent-88 building. I wanted to make an interactive and dynamic appartment that as you walked around, changed from a fairly innocent place into a full on love hub, somewhat inspired by Quagmire's house in Family Guy. I then integrated a simple button puzzle into the dynamic design which turned out well (Norvak did a bit of polishing such as re-texturing the floor and some extra lighting). Downstairs, I put a new spin on some classic Duke places like Tiberius Station and Polaris Outpost based on their logos, and an AMC TC reference (don't tell James). Finally, I designed the interior of the tower and the escape sequence where the city is destroyed and you fly away in an escape pod. It took a LOT of planning and work to figure out and implement a way of pulling it off then ending the level, but I'm happy with the result. I also touched up the level in various places and added a secret or two. I can't wait for the next CBP."

HT:

After spending some time in the nice shiny city, Duke jumps down a manhole and enters the not so shiny sewers, arriving at a sewerage treatment room, Duke must locate a key to allow him to progress (to Captain Awesome's section). In contrast to the sections that existed when I was handed the map, I tried to go more for the classic look and feel, partly because I've been plagued by technical problems, the section is not my best work, but I'm satisfied with the outcome overall. When I first built things, they looked different, the tanks were square with spritework linking them up, they also had transparent water but that killed framerate so hard that I couldn't work on it anymore, so eventually, we arrived at what we have now.

Forge:

"Made the section after the player jet packs out of Captain Awesome's sewer area and before they exit back out to Mike's central hub. Kill a couple aliens and figure out how to get back out to the hub area. Nothing special; just a few typical rooms. Easily the worst and dullest section of the map."

Mister S:

"Hmm.. Mapping process was great! I had an inspiration for mapping for the first time since December 2010.
I built that dam. Hope you'll enjoy it 
I don't really know how much time I spent on it. I had fun working with other members of this CBP and participating in it. :)"

I'll try to keep an eye to this forum from time to time, also I'm gonna buy a new power supply asap, hope other components haven't fucked up...

About Gambini, I've sent him a mail telling the situation, I don't know if he has already tested the map or is planning to do it, anyway I told him to send the result to Micky C.

Again sorry for all the drawbacks...

Mike.

Mister Sinister

I sound like 12-year old dork.  :D
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Forge

Micky C

Ouch that sucks Norvak, sorry to hear that  :(

I can take over writing the template. I also invited SuperTanker to betatest since Gambini was apparently the only mapper tester, and Gambini hasn't said anything to me yet.

However, I'd much prefer to have some finished music with the release, as there's still a bit of a break in the middle of the track which I gather isn't supposed to be there. Or is it? I'm not a music oriented person.

At the very least the map needs to be released before the end of this month, but one or two weeks earlier will be great.
Don't be shy with those personal template submissions, people! PM me asap. If you don't want to make a submission, then tell me so.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

I don't really feel like writing something for the template, just throw my name on the list and any more. :)

Mister Sinister

Could you please remove my words from the template? It would be very nice.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Micky C

I haven't actually started writing the actual document yet. You can write a new section if you want.

For those who don't want to submit a piece, I'll write up a sentence trying to explain which part of the map they built.
Wall whore.

Forge

This has to be the worst turnout for a CBP template I've ever seen. Part of the fun in playing those old community maps is reading the comments they left.

You people suck!  :P

Micky C

It's hilarious when people rag on a member for hogging the map for ages and not doing much  :-X
Wall whore.

Merlijn

Hi there, I just came back from my vacation, so I obviously didn't have any time to write something..

You can copy/paste this into the template:

Merlijn:

I created the entrance to the spacebar and the spacebar itself. Having a typical urban location in a space-station seemed like a fun idea to me. I pretty much made everything up on the spot, so the dominant blue lightning and the addition of a stage (including a reference to my own band) were all spontanious decisions. I think it turned out rather well, it's one of my better CBP contributions.
I also finished the section William Gee started by adding a small shuttle bay and some extra details to his area.