ideas, gameplay

Started by Micky C, 17 February 2012, 04:45:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

While the other thread is more to do with the current progress of the map, this thread looks towards the future.

For example, before we get too far in, we could start thinking about how the parts are going to tie together and what the focus of each section is.

E.g Norvak's section is probably going to be the hub, and I have a feeling he's got something planned with that central spiral, which has a room inside (could contain a nuke button designed to destroy the city in the event of an emergency, or maybe a teleport to earth).

With my section, the rotating segments could potentially be used for a puzzle, or hiding objects or rooms (possibly other people's sections), or just have some clever respawn triggers to have some surprising gameplay. It would be really sweet if the player would have to end up jumping out the window to land in the pool (I added an atomic health to the top of a nearby light pole).

Of course these are all just ideas, and this is just an ideas thread, but hopefully over the course of development it can help with the overall cohesion and help add purpose to everybody's parts.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Well, the only advice I could suggest. Is making the map in concentric circles around the metropolis core, using the highway at the left to make another and bigger part of the city, or the left waterfall to expand the city also, so I expect mappers don't close possibilities and try to think on open spaces everywhere, for example it would be cool to have an artificial sea at the shore of the station, parks, a sewage system, stores, highways, futuristic movable cars and so on, the idea Micky suggest sounds really good, but not necessarily my part needs to be the center of the city, there could be a biggest zone for that matter....

Forge

Looking at the list of mappers, I don't see anybody that's going to "override" Mike's portion from being the hub, so I'm sure everything's going to spur off from it.

I also noticed nobody (only two people so far) have added gameplay elements to the map. Is that something that's to be added later after everything is built? Seems like that'd be twice as much work as necessary rather than mappers putting in stuff now and fine tuning it later.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

I'll definitely be adding gameplay to my part while working on it. Can be adjusted according to the overall picture but I'd rather ensure the bulk there is ready.

But that brings up a question out of interest; Pigcops. Is anyone against using them in this map?

MikeNorvak

I just didn't add any gameplay, becouse I didn't know if my part were gonna be a hub zone or just another part.

@ Quakis: We could keep the space level tradition, but since this is a city map, I don't see any problem on using them, we could use weird pals though.

High Treason

If your city is the hub, this does leave me with some confusion of how to end my part, as theoretically, it will have to lead back to the city at the end.

My section has turned out rather simple thus far as I have almost run out of walls now.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Quote from: High_Treason on  18 February 2012, 12:36:44
If your city is the hub, this does leave me with some confusion of how to end my part, as theoretically, it will have to lead back to the city at the end.

Why? It could dead end and have a key or an important switch. Somebody else could build off of it or link their section to yours. Etc....

Alternately, Mike's section doesn't have to be the hub, or the only hub

MikeNorvak

I agree with Forge, I really want to see biggest "outdoor" areas of the city with that slybox on it. It looks cool.

Well, it would be cool also if teh map expands this way:

[attachment deleted by admin]

High Treason

The layout makes sense now. I see you talked about a beach, that could be where both the highway and the end of my section lead i.e. my section leads a sewer out, the highway goes to the beack and thus, back to the city. Just putting it out there to give people ideas. But as it's midnight, I'm probably rambling.

Mister Sinister

I've been thinking about expanding the waterfall and making some sort of dam which will be connected to other parts of the city with a road near it.What do youthink about it?
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

MikeNorvak

Yeah that sounds good, do anything you want ;)

Merlijn

So, after looking at the level in its current state, I tried to think of a logical progression and flow for the player. The following feels the most logical to me:

1.The player starts in Micky C's bar (downstairs) but the way out is blocked by a forcefield. He has to go the upper room and solve a basic puzzle to get the forcefield down.

2.Then, the player enters Mikes big outdoor part, shoots some baddies and makes his way to Mister Sinisters dam.

3. Maarten and I will start building where Mister Sinister stopped. Our parts will add a giant loop to the map, and will eventually lead back into Mikes part. Somewhere along the way, the player has done something to unlock the sewer section (or has gained explosive weapons to blow up the manhole - which means the sewer entrance has to be blocked by a sprite that can be blown up)

4.The player descents into the sewer section. The builder that comes after me can continue where High treason stopped.. Possibly leading into a new section of the city?

What do you guys think?

Forge

makes sense, but you can flip it where the player progresses through Mike's part to High T's sewer and continues through there to another section that loops back to Mike's part and opens up M. Sinister's dam area.

just depends on where you want to start and what you want to make (i.e. you can add some cool hi-tech stuff, beach caves, or whatever after the dam and loop it back to Mike's hub. Maarten can add his alien-esque area to the end of the sewer (which is a perfect place for it) and loop it back to Mike's hub.

There's still Quakis & Supertanker left on the list. If SuperT is still indisposed, I may amp myself up enough to add a little to it somewhere while the team waits for him to become available.

High Treason

Looking back, I should probably have not built a sewer, it seems to have caused problems for everybody :(

Forge

Why not. It fits the map & theme, it can easily be put into the map progression in several different scenarios. It can be a dead end with a key or an important switch, it can loop back to Mike's hub, it can be added onto and taken in a different direction, it can lead to the end of the map/boss fight.

what's the regret?