ideas, gameplay

Started by Micky C, 17 February 2012, 04:45:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeNorvak

Cool, definitely a escaping scripted sequence would be great. The central spire could be accessible from the underwater lower part of the pool.
I'll check the latest iteration later.

Forge

I don't know what Quakis and WG are planning, but it looks so far that Mister Sinister, Maarten, & Merlijn's loop is going to be first in progression -  to get explosives to open up the sewer hole to the second loop. Then High Treason, Captain Awesome, & Forge's loop is going to be second to get the jet pack to get to Quakis' area.

speculation seems to have rarely paid off so far. I can only look forward to what the last two mappers come up with

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Mister Sinister

It means that devastator must be removed from the roof of my dam and replaced with something else.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Forge

I thought your area was going to get modified so the player couldn't get back to the hub?

Mister Sinister

Well maybe, but if my area is the beginning of the first loop there's no need in devastator.
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Forge

Up to the results of the beta-test, but I see no reason why it should be removed. Ammo for it or some pipe bombs can be added to Merlijn's section with a view screen showing the manhole cover (so they know not to waste them all)

Forge

I don't want to clog up the map progression thread with a bunch of images, so I posted here:

Classic mode hub area walk-about

00 - missed texture on back of TV
01 - floor not raising, player can get stuck
02 - visual anomaly with elevator at the top floor
03 - visual anomaly with elevator while riding it
04 - visual anomaly while looking out of apartment window at the hub area
05 - player can jump out the window to reach for that ledge - gets squished
06 - missed texture
07 - sector standing in is tagged as water
08 - visual anomaly with this sector
09 - same as 08, seen from the underside
10 - visual anomaly with elevator as seen from outside
11 - don't forget to put in a tagged manhole cover
12 - player can get to the grass sector, but gets squished if walked onto instead of jumped on
13 - aside from misaligned texture, player can get squished in this corner
15 - different angle on 08
16 - missed texture
17 - disappearing waterfalls (both sides of tunnel)
20 - player gets squished if jumps on top of this junction box

visual anomalies (02,03,04,08,09,15) are reduced or gone when using polymer. If this is to be released for classic mode, then there's alot of work needed to fix the visual glitches.

screenshots removed

MikeNorvak

I've been thinking seriously about this, and I think the best solution is release it as a Polymer map with a script in a bat file to turn the dynamic lights off, still a playable map with 8-bit with some glitches, I just don't like the way it looks (and works) on 8-Bit, the best framerate I got was with polymer also (. I'm a bit upset about the performance of this map, that TROR thing was a bad idea to implement, but now that it is, why not take advantage of it?

Also somebody knows a console command to deactivate polymer lights in game? I need to try the map out without lights :/

I think I'll finish my polishing stage today, and some tweaks on gameplay...

High Treason

I don't believe you can do it from the command line... It may be possible to zip the file and load an autoexec.cfg that has the desired effect but it isn't something I have ever attempted so I don't know if that would work.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Micky C

Wall whore.

Forge

I played the map a little today. There's several things that need to be fixed, but I think the biggest bug I found was a six button puzzle

the puzzle works fine, but imo six buttons is over the top and bugs me

a few game killers:
the power junction box outside merlijns bar on the way to the hub (across from the blue locked barrier) still kills the player when jumped on top of.

in the hub area above the water tunnel leading to Mister Sinister's area are two tunnels that water is falling from and a huge sign (the winking woman I think). The player can fly into them after getting the jetpack, but can't fly back out because the walls are one-way blocking. (i know this is to keep the player from getting back into the hub from this direction, but maybe the one-way blocking walls should be moved to the other end of the tunnel)

I don't know if the top of the spire is supposed to be symmetrical or not, but its odd shape is apparent when flying around it with a jetpack.

there's something odd about one of the atomic healths in Mister Sinister's secret area (the atomic closest to the dam - left one if looking over the wall at them from the platform), it makes all the other sprites in that area appear with black boxes around them. the effect goes away after it's been picked up

most everything else is alignment or sizing issues

Mister Sinister

Quotethe puzzle works fine, but imo six buttons is over the top and bugs me
But there is actually a viewscreen with a clue for puzzle. Those numbers - 2,3,5 - are the buttons that you need to press. But I don't think it's a problem to make for example 4 buttons, I won't mind.
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Micky C

The water tunnel things you're talking about are in the top layer and having nothing to do with the blocking of the big tunnel in the bottom layer, they can be made blocking/unblocking individually.
Wall whore.

Forge

Quote from: Mister Sinister on  06 May 2012, 08:40:13
Quotethe puzzle works fine, but imo six buttons is over the top and bugs me
But there is actually a viewscreen with a clue for puzzle. Those numbers - 2,3,5 - are the buttons that you need to press. But I don't think it's a problem to make for example 4 buttons, I won't mind.

If there's a clue, then leave it. I didn't see the clue so that's on me.

Quote from: Micky C on  06 May 2012, 11:17:39
The water tunnel things you're talking about are in the top layer and having nothing to do with the blocking of the big tunnel in the bottom layer, they can be made blocking/unblocking individually.

I never worked with tror so I did not know that, I just applied old world logic to the problem.

edit: imo the fix should be to make those three areas above the tunnel blocked to keep the player from entering them. especially the two waterfall tunnels; they taper in to narrow points that might squish the player.

quakis

Possible flow for mine and William's part - I have a good vision how this can play out if done like this. The switch which activates the tower is inside the police/security station and then there's a bit of interesting backtracking from my part toward the tower. Check the image below to see what I'm going for. I'd like to know ASAP if we should go with this idea before my polishing stage is over so I can do what I can to make it happen.