ideas, gameplay

Started by Micky C, 17 February 2012, 04:45:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

that looks pretty logical

question:

is it going to affect gameplay/flow if the player backtracks through WG's section instead of exiting the police/security station through the gate that is opened after activating the tower switch?
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

I'd most likely close access to William's part off by that point, perhaps the alien's attempt at redirecting Duke to their heavier assault after activating the switch.

Reposting the image since we're on a new page;

Forge

Quote from: quakis on  20 May 2012, 19:09:50
I'd most likely close access to William's part off by that point

this

Micky C

That sounds like a good idea, lets go with that.

I think we can make the door at the base of the tower on the top right, behind which is a lift on the right side of the red line across the tower in the pic, then you see the windows and the fake nuke button. You need to cross over to the other side of the tower to hit it, then explosions start outside, while a forcefield or door activates behind you making you stay on that side of the tower. Then a few seconds later, the section of the tower you're on starts moving down, and goes right down until you're below the city in a high tech control room. The door to that is also in the diagram. This should give you a view of the underside of the city (if we have enough walls) and is where you can take a shuttle in an escape sequence to end the map.

So right elevator takes you up, left elevator takes you far down.

Wall whore.

quakis

Right, I,ll go ahead with my idea then and just hope William reads the this.

Micky C

This is very basic just for the idea, but I was thinking that the underside of the city could be some giant circular thing, and you can ride a two-way train out from under it. At first I thought we needed flat ceiling sectors for the two way train, but then I realized we're using TROR and we can make the ceilings whatever we want and make the train go anywhere.

Thoughts?

Wall whore.

Merlijn

Sounds and looks like a good idea, but I think we should also make this map as bug-free for classic as possible as well.. So don't make the TROR too fancy please ;) I'd hate to not be able to play the final product.

Forge

looks good. the more detailed the better, so throw all the left over resources at it you can

Micky C

How do we actually end the level when the two way train stops? It'd be kind of lame to just have the player press the nuke button.
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

You could put a timed activator locked in the end sector. IIRC an activator locked can make dormant end sectors, (theorically) you could trigger the end sector in the same way as the door opens in E2L8 or even with the same method of delayed spawns used by Llyr Wyn Jones, the real trouble here is: How are you gonna tag the end sector if it is already tagged as two-way train?...

MikeNorvak

Definitely we need some help from Lezing  :-X

High Treason

Lezing...  That made me think. I wonder how feasible it would be to make a two-way train with sprites, then move those sprites out of the train sector (setting their sectnum back to the one for the train) thus seemingly allowing the train to travel to a new sector tagged as an end level sector?

Sheesh, if that works, I want credit for the idea, I have never tried it, but if it DID work, immagine the possibilities, a two way train could travel over multiple sectors that way!

Edit: In practise, the idea sorta works, I currently have a workaround idea for the player being unable to move, the train would sit behind the visible sprite train with a one-way-blocking wall, disallowing the player from stepping back, my only worry is I haven't tested this and I have a nasty feeling that the player would go right through. However, the idea may still be worth playing with and if it doesn't work I can at least say I found a way of making interesting new visuals.

The attached map is an example of how the train affects sprites that are outside of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

The player stands still while everything else moves away from the player; thus giving the impression that they are flying away?

Maybe some fancy conveyor work and sync some surrounding sectors to move with the player? (Though something would have to be done to keep the player from running against the direction of movement)

Micky C

What about instead of a two way train with the player moving sideways, we make it so the escape pod actually moves downwards, that way we can bury an SE 7 below the floor, and when we lower the floor and duke's waist hits the SE height he gets teleported to a black end level sector. If this is doable, itll also mean we dot have to worry about the external city walls on the sides which we wouldn't be able to realistically recreate.
Wall whore.

Forge

That would work if you put the drop chute in position for players using classic mode to be able to see the bottom of the station while they descend (due to the limited angle of up/down sight using that mode)

A little creative construction could make the inside of an "elevator/lift" look like an escape pod

makes me think of the scene from the first star wars movie when the two robots use the escape pod to drop down to that desert planet (i know all the names, i'm just too lazy and drugged to think long enough to come up with them)