Beta testing/final polishing

Started by Micky C, 11 July 2012, 12:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

I played through it again and it still happened, then I acted on a hunch and found out that it was actually using the red keycard in High Treason's section that sets it off, not the reactor. So I moved the seenine and crack to a different place and it now works properly again.

Also, I think the changes I made to the ammo (removing shotgun and a bit of chaingun, then adding freezer and a bit of devestator) really help to make the map more fun. A pox on ye all for throwing around so much shotgun ammo. I'll write up the post at Duke4.net right now.

High Treason, I did some testing with the launcher, and the game does not go back to enabling lights after the bat is used. This is very bad, can it be fixed?
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

I can upload the map to my site temporally until it gets hosted if you don't want to use attachments or hosting sites.

Forge

i don't know what the deal is with the bat, but it permanently inserts a r_pr_lighting "0" line into the settings.cfg

it'd probably be easier just to put some instructions about the cfg file at the top of the template about what it's for, renaming old cfgs, dropping this cfg into the duke directory, and then deleting it when they're done
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

I did some more testing, and the bat has nothing to do with it sticking to disabled lighting, even just having autoexec.cfg then taking it out, lighting is still set to r_pr_lighting 0. So what I'll do is include autoexec.cb8 and autoexec.cfg. So that when the player is done it'll go back to having lights in polymer. It seems to work. I'll also say that the player can use the console and not bother with the files to keep things cleaner.

I also replaced a shotgun ammo in my section with armour, and I think this makes the start of the map play loads better (before, you started off with a ridiculous amount of it).
To compensate, I placed a shotgun ammo in Captain Awesome's section as well as two freezer ammos. The accumulation of ammo is now smoother.

Time to release baby!
Edit: http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5632-cbp-8-metropolitan-starlight/
Wall whore.

Puritan

Wow, congrats guys. The one week CBP went great  ;D
Will be uploaded tonight (CET).

NB! : I don't have time to play it nor taking screenshots today. So if anybody could provide some screenies the upload would look so much better  ;)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

Ok, so I started playing the map to take photos, but then I forgot what I was doing and just ended up playing the map, haha.

Here's some photos of all the areas, you can choose the best ones.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jy8ei8

I've already found some tiny things like very tiny texturing issues (especially in my area), not to mention EmericaSkater's comment about the bed and couch is bugging me, but I'm resisting going back and fixing them, unless there's some super game breaking bug, which I doubt. Probably should have spent more time in my section and less time in others'  ::)

I was about to ask where the last secret is, but I found it with the search function in Mister Sinister's section. The ladder is glitchy and I would have liked to make the steps invisible as well  :-\
Wall whore.

quakis

Good job everyone, especially Forge & Micky C working their butts off solving problems and getting the map polished up!

Merlijn

Yes, good job everyone! It's nice to see this one released. Don't worry too much about the delay, it always happens with larger projects.

Forge

Quote from: quakis on  27 July 2012, 15:30:50
Good job everyone, especially Forge & Micky C working their butts off solving problems and getting the map polished up!

and good job to you for all that testing, tuning, and the nice touches you added

and to Merlijn for taking up where WG left off

Micky C

Indeed, people seem to love the map.

I was wondering, how come the suburban hive maps didn't have a CBP # prefix?
Wall whore.

Forge

IIRC correctly the first suburban hive was supposed to be called 2HCBP-2, but the project leader and a couple other mappers involved in the project decided that the acronym names were too dull and wouldn't attract players or separate itself from the rest of the CBPs. Eventually they gave it a normal map name, and the second suburban hive map was basically the same people with the same 2 hour limit so they just followed up with the previous title idea.