non-mapping discussion

Started by Micky C, 27 February 2012, 09:02:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

This is probably the last thread we'll need (except for maybe a beta testing/polishing thread, but that might be a bit excessive), and can host discussion that's about the CBP but isn't necessarily related to mapping. This is kind of a continuation of the conversation of this CBP's thread in the public section, but is best contained to this private forum.

The main issue currently at hand is which music track to use, which is important because it can make a big different to the tempo and ambiance to the map. But this thread can also be used to discuss other somewhat administrative things. So to start things off I'll reply to one of Norvak's posts.

QuoteSo, technically nobody can add anything to another person's part?

I think people should be allowed to add things to other people's parts if the original author doesn't mind. I wouldn't object to people improving my section, and there could be a few things in other people's sections that can also be improved.

QuoteMicky has a good taste to chose music for his maps.

My track selection is limited to games I have played, which actually isn't a huge amount.

Still, when I try to think of what kind of music this map should have, rythmic, epic techno comes to mind. The closest thing I can find are the tracks in James' Imagination World v2 TC. Man that is a great TC with a great music selection. I've gone through them all and I've narrowed it down to 4 tracks which I think would suit the map in some capacity. It doesn't have to be one of these tracks (I'm sure anyone who's anyone in the Duke community has heard most of them and we ought to go for a fresh sound), but perhaps someone else can find something similar. Or, we do have some musical talent in the CBP, perhaps one of them could whip up an original track based on the ones included ;)

Edit: it actually helps if I link to the music :P

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n58jg4
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

At the moment I haven't many free time, but in about 2 weeks maybe I can think of something, those tracks are very inspirational, BTW. I'd be really cool if The Eastdrums and me could collaborate to make a track for the map ;D, what do you think Merlijn and Maarten ? Sorry for offtopic but I'm still planning to remix those tracks from Imperium, don't think I forgot about it.

Puritan

Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

MikeNorvak

Ha ha I mean Eastrums!  ;D not east drums, typo lol

Merlijn

Haha, but we do have drums in the east yo  ;)
Anyway, due to circumstances we can't really record stuff at the moment. :( But maybe one of the remixed Imperium tracks could be the soundtrack to this level? If you can finish it in time of course. That way, it would still be a collaboration.

Micky C

That could work, a light mystical alien tune would also fit (this clearly isn't an earth city). I just quickly listened to a few (I only have a minute) and it would be nicer if the tempo was slightly faster, since Imperium was more about exploration and this map will have more action.
Wall whore.

Merlijn

Well, Mike could speed up the track a little. And I agree with you: the map needs something that's futuristic and up-tempo.

Mister Sinister

What if we'll use this track???
It sounds futuristic enough and it's up-tempo. The only problem is vocals  :-\
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

Forge

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

I've finally listened to these songs, and it's hard to describe, but they're just not 'epic' enough. And some of the sounds are a bit high pitched, making it a bit too cheerful for the atmosphere, and I feel like they're going to give me a headache if I listen to it on a loop. Of course I might just be saying that because I have a headache as of this writing.

I wonder if we should have a more apocalyptic track. It could suit if the city's about to be destroyed and Duke needs to teleport out through the central spire, or do something in the central spire (such as actually destroy the city himself to prevent the alien invasion to earth.)
Wall whore.

Puritan

You want epic music for a great event?
Find this one in a ogg format:

Edvard Grieg - Hall of the mountain King
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  06 March 2012, 13:26:02
You want epic music for a great event?
Find this one in a ogg format:
Edvard Grieg - Hall of the mountain King

lol

how bout this:

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

Quote from: Micky C on  06 March 2012, 12:16:47
I've finally listened to these songs, and it's hard to describe, but they're just not 'epic' enough. And some of the sounds are a bit high pitched, making it a bit too cheerful for the atmosphere, and I feel like they're going to give me a headache if I listen to it on a loop.

i posted those star control 2 tracks as a joke because everybody keeps suggesting some new, techno-pop nonsense

we need a track like the one Mike used for NSA, but says "Alien" instead of "Terminator"

MikeNorvak

Quote from: Forge on  06 March 2012, 15:31:03
... everybody keeps suggesting some new, techno-pop nonsense...

that's true  ;D

Quote from: Forge on  06 March 2012, 15:31:03
we need a track like the one Mike used for NSA, but says "Alien" instead of "Terminator"

Perhaps something like in Crimson moon? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svuO0dMMFuk but less "scary"

Wait till the next week, I'm gonna have more free time, sure I could think of something and make a track although I'm more interested on making a music piece instead of a background ambiance track, I can mix musical parts with atmospheric parts though.

Forge

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  06 March 2012, 18:31:52
Wait till the next week, I'm gonna have more free time, sure I could think of something and make a track although I'm more interested on making a music piece instead of a background ambiance track, I can mix musical parts with atmospheric parts though.

This

Merlijn

Sound like the best option indeed. :)