non-mapping discussion

Started by Micky C, 27 February 2012, 09:02:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

Quote from: MikeNorvak on  06 March 2012, 18:31:52
Wait till the next week, I'm gonna have more free time

So Norvak, got any ideas for the music track?  :)
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Yeah, maybe I can start working on it today.

Micky C

I gather the track is almost finished? I can't wait to hear it  :-*

For anyone else reading this, it appears that around TROR, mirrors don't work unless you're using polymer. I don't think this is a big issue since most areas aren't using TROR so mirrors should be ok, but it means I'll have to get rid of my mirrors :(
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Yeah those mirrors look great on Polymer, but this isn't a polymer map so you should get rid of them, BTW I think your bar looks a bit too dark, maybe you can bright things up on your polishing stage?

Micky C

The downstairs bar with the flashing lights? It's an adult community hub, it's meant to be dark. It looks ok to me, although it could look different on different monitors, however there's not going to be much fighting in there so it doesn't need to be that bright. Perhaps you have other reasons for wanting to make it brighter?
Wall whore.

MikeNorvak

Mhhh mainly because the use of TROR, it is almost unnoticeable due the darkness imo.

Micky C

Actually the main reason I used TROR there was for the cheap trimming at the top of the walls  :-[

So... how's the music coming?
Wall whore.

Forge

What's the plan for the polishing stage? Round robin like the build & in the same order?

That's also a good time to start the template and have everyone add their sound bite.

Just my opinion, but Quakis' section is the one left most "un-finished". He should get the map back after WG while there are still assets to finish his section. If you put him at the end of the rotation, there might not be alot left for him to work with by the time it gets back his way.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Micky C

You still won't be allowed to go over your wall limit in the polishing stage (lets ignore the fact that I'm over by a few walls already). So if you want to add some extra sector work, you're going to have to cut back on something, but most people here are fairly good with sprite work so that can make up for it.

I think High Treason still has a few hundred walls left, I'm not sure if he should use them all up, and he probably doesn't need to anyway, because we'd need as many as we can get if we're going to put in a scripted escape sequence. I'll leave it to Norvak to either do that or organise it, because I'm not sure how that would work both in creative and technical aspects.

But after the scripted sequence, the map will cycle around to each mapper, who will have it for a grand non-negotiable length of 3 days. If you say "oh I had it for two and a half days but I've got the flu can I have it a bit longer?" the answer will be no. I think then Norvak wants to go around and polish other people's parts. If nobody objects he should be allowed to touch up each person's area.

I might then rework the weapon placement. Enemy placement as it is at the moment isn't too bad, hopefully it still works with the weapons shifted. But Norvak or someone else should also check out the placements after I'm done to make sure it flows really well. Hopefully he won't take too long with that because tweaking will also be done in the beta testing stage which will come after that.

And then release, and hopefully unanimous acclaim.
Wall whore.

Forge

I have no plans to add anymore sector work, so take what little I left and put it towards whatever.

The only thing I can think of to add would be a master switch and some invisible ooze filters to blow up by the exit from my section when the reactor explodes. I notice that the player can toss a pipebomb up by the reactor and set it off while looking at the view screen. The wall lowering looks silly without any effects.

My concern is the three day limit for polishing. Is that going to be enough time for Quakis to finish his section?

Micky C

Alright. Perhaps if some mappers don't use all their days, another mapper can "borrow" those days and add them to his own. But let's make the combined maximum 6 days. So if a mapper doesn't use his days, than another mapper can double his polishing time. Although no one should need more than 6 days to polish.

That means that the individual polishing stage will be done within a month. I also didn't properly finish my section, with the intention of doing that in the polishing stage, so even I might need the extra time :P
Wall whore.

quakis

3 days will be enough for me and I have a little under 400 walls left to work with. The breathing room until then will be useful, since I've been thinking about what to do. This should make the process go faster, it usually does.

Merlijn

I'm not going to need 3 days for polishing.. 1 day should be enough. :)

Forge

Same for me. I can add the ooze filters, master switch, a blurb to the template, and have it passed on within 30 minutes.

Technical speak:
Map started on 6 Feb
10 mappers @ 7 days apiece = 70 days
70th day = 15 April
3 days per mapper for polishing =30 days
30th day = 15 May

Final Additions & Tuning
Beta-testing

Puritan

Just curious:
What will be the 'official' name of this CBP?
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise