Official RELEASE subforum suggestion

Started by Trooper Dan, 13 March 2012, 18:21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Forge

Are you sure you would want an individual thread for each project? That's theoretically hundreds and hundreds of threads. As for getting links on the map page, somebody would need to start a new thread for each of the maps hosted here.

Quote from: Trooper Dan on  13 March 2012, 19:04:45
So if I created a bunch of threads for old maps, would that be considered spamming?

No, now it's required for somebody to do it
as an option
It might be a better strategy to start threads for mappers instead of maps
i.e.:

"Gambini's Projects"
"Merlijn van Oostrum's Projects"
"Community and Collaboration Projects"
etc.

that would cut down on several hundred threads, but you wouldn't be able to poll an individual project

let me know what you want boss, and I'll make it happen

Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Trooper Dan

Quote from: Forge on  13 March 2012, 22:49:40
let me know what you want boss, and I'll make it happen

For now it's probably best just to link the existing release threads to their corresponding review pages.  Puritan doesn't want to have to go back through 200 review pages and link them to threads (creating a lot of new threads in the process), which is understandable.  But as a long term goal, I think it would be nice if those threads existed.

In the first post I did note that it might make more sense to have single threads for groups of projects (like projects by the same mapper or CPBs).  However, the more I think about that idea, the less I like it.

Forge

This will eliminate the need the "last map you played thread" I can break that up and put the corresponding posts into a proper thread about the specific map being discussed.

All projects currently being hosted will now need individual threads.

If all the projects have threads, he can add links casually at his own pace instead of trying to keep track of when one is opened randomly

I'll have to clean out and re-organize a few Boards

I can do all this, but I need approval from the suit in the big office

Forge

access denied. The higher powers are satisfied with the current state of the site, but you're more than welcome to start threads for individual projects if you like

Trooper Dan

Quote from: Forge on  14 March 2012, 00:05:34
access denied. The higher powers are satisfied with the current state of the site, but you're more than welcome to start threads for individual projects if you like

I'm a little confused.  Puritan already said he would have map pages linked to release threads in the future.  And I never requested that the "last map you played" thread be broken up, that was your idea.

Forge

Quote from: Trooper Dan on  14 March 2012, 00:11:28
I'm a little confused.  Puritan already said he would have map pages linked to release threads in the future.  And I never requested that the "last map you played" thread be broken up, that was your idea.

Puritan is satisfied with the current organization of the boards. You might need clarification from him.

if every hosted project had its own thread, would there be a need for a "last map you played" thread? The answer would be, "No. Go post in the proper thread about the project."

edit: unhosted projects could be discussed under "reviews and submissions" and considered for hosting

Puritan

All maps with a corresponding release thread has now got a link on the review pages. ;)
I don't see the problem.
Classic maps can have a thread in the "Classic Duke 3D" board.
Modifications can have a thread in the "Duke 3D Modifications" board.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

If there's going to be hundreds of threads under Classic Duke 3D, then I'd like to sticky or move "What is your own worst map(s)?" & "Official Add-On's" threads

same with the non-release threads under Duke 3D Modifications

Puritan

^^No we aren't...

We actually don't "need individual threads...".
The links on the review page is only a service for those who got a release thread.
There is releases without a thread ----> No link on the review page.
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Puritan

Quote from: Forge on  14 March 2012, 00:34:30
If there's going to be hundreds of threads under Classic Duke 3D, then I'd like to sticky or move "What is your own worst map(s)?" & "Official Add-On's" threads

Or put the releases into a child board....
But I don't think there will be hundreds of topics. As for now at least.
Oh when I'm old and wise

Trooper Dan

Quote from: Forge on  14 March 2012, 00:34:30

LOL, that was why I had suggested that the official release threads have their own subforum in the first place, in order to avoid the need to move around other types of discussion threads.

Also, there is a lot of gray area as to what is considered "Classic Duke 3D" and what is considered a "Modification".  There is a spectrum of cases:  completely vanilla maps with no additional files, maps that have some new sounds, episodes that are vanilla except they must include a modified CON file for it to be an episode, then maps/episodes that have some new 8-bit art added but no other modifications, maps/episodes that have new art, sound and code, but also use the original tile set and still star Duke Nukem, all the way to TCs that have nothing to do with Duke at all but just happen to use EDuke32 (e.g. the Sonic Hedgehog TC).

To avoid the need to make decisions about whether something is "classic" or a "modification", just put all the release threads together in the same subforum.  People can get to the threads from the review pages, so they are still easy to find no matter how many different threads there are.

Forge

so if Trooper Dan
Quote from: Trooper Dan on  13 March 2012, 19:04:45created a bunch of threads for old maps, would that be considered spamming?

and are you going to go back to the map pages and create links to all those new threads ? (currently over 200 potential threads)

Forge

Quote from: Trooper Dan on  14 March 2012, 00:43:38
LOL, that was why I had suggested that the official release threads have their own subforum in the first place, in order to avoid the need to move around other types of discussion threads.

we're only talking about 5 threads that need to be moved or stickied

Puritan

Quote from: Puritan on  13 March 2012, 22:13:15
Yeah, I will add links in the future as you suggested  ;)

Note the word future  :D
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Puritan on  14 March 2012, 00:53:07
Note the word future  :D

lol  ;D

so we might as well make 209 release threads, then you can get to it when you feel that special urge (*note: not that special urge)
I'll take care of those 5 threads so they don't get lost in the mix

get busy Trooper D