Official Add-On's

Started by Puritan, 03 December 2011, 13:06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Which official Add-On have you played and/or own?

Duke it out in D.C
11 (68.8%)
Duke Xtreme
4 (25%)
Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach
14 (87.5%)
Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Puritan

As you can see, I've left out a few ( Duke!Zone, Duke!Zone II, Duke Assault...).
I think Duke!Zone II is the only one that could have fitted since it has new episodes included.

Now, go ahead and cast your votes!
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

I've played or own most of the major ones. My favorite is Caribbean then D.C.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

I still remember "Smithsonian Terror" from DC
It drove me nuts!  >:(
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

That was the worst map of the addon. The layout confused me pretty bad the first time I played it.

Helixirr

I think the worst map is Brown Water. While not being the most complicated, it felt rather boring because there was not many interesting locations to visit. Smithsonian Terror, on the other hand, felt very versatile, complex yes, but that's why I consider it impressive. I have some bad memories, though. I remember wandering all over the place to find those keycards and their slots, which, of course, is not cool, but I think the map has grown on me and I've begun to appreciate the work put into it. Great job, Robert Travis!

Duke it out in DC is great addon, but my absolute favorite is still Duke Caribbean: Life's Beach. The joy I had on the first try was indescribable. Everything I saw looked awesome, babes, bullets, bombs... damn, I loved it!

Duke: Nuclear Winter must be the worst from the one's I've played. It just didn't work. The levels felt somewhat unprofessional and ideas were bit unoriginal. The recycling of the first two levels was also disappointing. The Santa Claus? Well, it's just a modification of Duke Nukem, whose voice sounded pretty off.
Current project(s):
CBP9
Tim Firch - The Plans Of Dr. Deta

methy

Carribean Life is the best thing that was ever made for Duke3D

I've been dreaming of making a custom map or small episode for it but I don't have the time.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

MSandt

Caribbean is actually on my next-to-play list, but I need to finish writing a new review for LR&WB first.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark

Gambini

I liked Caribbean. Not loved, just liked it. But the weapons ruined it for me. The concept of the player overlooking the fact that he´s fighting real enemies with water weapons goes beyond the cheery theme. If i´d cared enough I would have replaced those with the original weapons.

Duke Xtreme is a pack of usermaps. Unless I´m missing something, that´s not an add-on.

Dukewinter was cool too.

quakis

Loved Caribbean. I thought the fact that he's using supersoakers to fight the aliens made it all the more humourous. Plus the whole pineapple grenade being taken literally. ;D The weapons fit the theme and style, yet with weapons in most games usually being serious or realistic, it was refreshing to see back when I played it. Even now, I suppose.

methy

Quote from: Gambini on  02 April 2012, 17:03:45
But the weapons ruined it for me. The concept of the player overlooking the fact that he´s fighting real enemies with water weapons goes beyond the cheery theme.

It's said in the manual that the guns shoot poisonous water, not just water.

I also appreciate the comical aspect to them. The freezer and the pineapples are the bests, and the new shrinker makes some sense.
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Puritan

I like the mighty kick wearing sandals  ;D
Oh when I'm old and wise

High Treason

I have played all of these, but no longer have Duke Xtreme.

My favorite is Duke it out in DC, it doesn't add much new beyond levels and art, but that's what makes it great.

Life's a Beach bores me, I don't like the theme though, so that's probably what ruined it for me.
Duke Xtreme can't have been that good because all I remember (it was almost 10 years ago) is yelling at my monitor about a key card.
Nuclear Winter was fun, because anything that's christmas themed is bound to suck, so my expectations were not very high, I like to laugh at Santa's voice too. "Hohoho, eets noot nice to shoost saantaaah! Ooowwwhhhhh myy face!" and my favorite "So, you haf found mai secret plaaans, naoooww you must dai!!!"

Sadly, I think they've all been outdone by add-ons the community has made. In fact some single maps have more packed in using vanilla Duke than an entire add-on.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

Forge

Quote from: High_Treason on  03 April 2012, 20:19:59
Sadly, I think they've all been outdone by add-ons the community has made. In fact some single maps have more packed in using vanilla Duke than an entire add-on.

There's definitely community/user made addons that are either equal to, or just plain blow these commercial releases out of the water.

Kevin Mooney

I love Duke it out in DC & Caribbean. Nuclear Winter's good too, but my all time favourite is SOTA-Secrets of the Acropolis. Same weapons/baddies but new Ancient Greek-themed art & great game play.

Forge

i've been a bad forge

haven't been mapping. haven't been playing user maps. been wasting all my duke time re-playing the commercial addons i've haven't touched in years.

interesting how perspectives change over time. i used to think caribbean was the greatest thing ever. Now I see for the most part the levels are pretty plain and dull looking, but the layouts and game play are great and very creative. I used to think D.C. was a bit dull because it's alot more "traditional" 3DR styled with visuals, floor plans, and map progression, so i didn't feel it was really bringing anything special to the table. Now i'm leaning towards D.C. being the more solid release because it gives equal attention to all aspects besides just gameplay.

haven't re-looked at nuclear winter yet, but my memories of it weren't all that great. iirc, boring looking levels with boring gameplay.