Official Add-On's

Started by Puritan, 03 December 2011, 13:06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Which official Add-On have you played and/or own?

Duke it out in D.C
11 (68.8%)
Duke Xtreme
4 (25%)
Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach
14 (87.5%)
Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter
11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Forge

playing nuclear winter.

the re-hash of E1L1 & E1L2 is pretty cheap. The fake doom section in the 3rd level is cheesy & makes me think, "don't these guys have any of their own ideas"?

after that the level designs are decent, but the gameplay is pretty tedious and it seems every map follows the same formula of going to one side of the map to find a switch just to backtrack all the way to the other side of the map. lots of back-forth, back-forth. there are spawns, but the redundancy is a turn off.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Nancsi

The only good level in Nuclear Winter is Christmas Village. That one had the atmosphere of a real christmas theme, and the gameplay felt pretty strong. Joe Wilcox' mapping style is somewhat weird though. He made the Monkey Shines level for the MAPstravaganza contest, and he was the author of the 3 episodes in Xtreme. I think his style is somewhat cold and a little depressing.

Nancsi

As for the official addons, Caribbean had the highest production values, and it has some really awesome levels. However I'm not a fan of the modified enemies, weapons. They look fine in the first level, but mostly look terrible in the later ones. Especially the last one, which is filled with drones. Firing them with water pistol/shotgun is simply lame.

Duke it out in DC is a bit of meh. The architecture might be great, but the content is cheap. Ambient sound is sparse, and the maps are too silent. No Washington DC jokes, which is simply a missed opportunity. Levels all feel like the same. Enter a monumental architecture, kill some LA pigcops and a few enforcers at the start of the map, and enjoy silence backtracking to the final point.

Micky C

Out of curiosity did anyone play Duke it out in DC with the HRP? Specifically the polymer lights?

I suppose if the framerate is too bad, what I could do whenever I have some reasonable spare time (ha) is go through the maps and remove the shadows from all the spotlights I just used for texture projection and shape, which ought to give it a significant boost. However something tells me it'll be easier to wait for plagman to optimise the spotlights and polymer for speed, which might not be as long as we think since he has several different trees of code he's working on to merge into polymer apparently.
Wall whore.

Forge

The cruise ship and the last level are my two favorite from caribbean. the rest have nice layouts, but look rather mundane and dull.

Arghantyl

I ve replayed DC and i was shocked by the numbers of shading mistakes.
But the layout is very good and fit well for DM.
Some maps are truly a pain tough.

For me Caribbean is the best mod despite the weapons models.
Another day,another challenge.

Forge

the only thing that really "bothered" me about caribbean wasn't the fact that the player is using squirt pistols and super soakers, but the pigcops and liztroops are firing at the player with their normal weapons, making normal weapon sounds, and then drop water weapons/ammo when they die.

i haven't played D.C. in a very long time, so maybe my memory of it is faded. i'll probably give it another try one of these days.

Loke

D.C. was exceedingly dull. The only decent maps that I had some fun with were the first and final maps. I actually prefer NW over it despite its issues.

Puritan

Interesting to read other members points of view regarding the add-on's.
I voted DC simply because it gave me more genuine Duke Nukem feel than the others.
Also it was in my humble opinion a natural sequel to the original episodes.
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Forge

Quote from: Nancsi on  24 February 2013, 17:21:36
The only good level in Nuclear Winter is Christmas Village. That one had the atmosphere of a real christmas theme, and the gameplay felt pretty strong. Joe Wilcox' mapping style is somewhat weird though. He made the Monkey Shines level for the MAPstravaganza contest, and he was the author of the 3 episodes in Xtreme. I think his style is somewhat cold and a little depressing.

the santa's headquarters (?) map wasn't too bad as far as layout and ambiance, but of course the back and forth gameplay ruined it.

i voted caribbean. mostly from a nostalgic standpoint and it's the one that was most memorable

Nancsi

Quote from: Forge on  25 February 2013, 02:18:44
The cruise ship and the last level are my two favorite from caribbean. the rest have nice layouts, but look rather mundane and dull.

They are definately the best levels of the addon, although I enjoy Lost Lagoon and Full House (the secret level) as well. The rest are pretty mediocre with occassional flashes in the pan.

Forge

Quote from: Nancsi on  24 February 2013, 17:29:20
Duke it out in DC is a bit of meh. The architecture might be great, but the content is cheap. Ambient sound is sparse, and the maps are too silent. No Washington DC jokes, which is simply a missed opportunity. Levels all feel like the same. Enter a monumental architecture, kill some LA pigcops and a few enforcers at the start of the map, and enjoy silence backtracking to the final point.

been plunking away at dc when i get free time. it does seem that almost all the ambient sounds are outside, and once you go inside it's dead silent. they really missed the boat on the chance to add their own sound files.

the levels don't really feel the "same". architecturally and texture-wise they are pretty nice and very 3DR. Just like the original levels there's messed up shading and textures, but nothing too extreme.

the major downside to this addon for me is the alien encounter aspect of the game. it's so very predictable and redundant - walk around corner-shoot pigcop-walk around corner-shoot pigcop-walk around corner-shoot pigcop - after a few levels of this the game almost seems like a chore instead of entertainment.

the levels look nicer in d.c., the gameplay in caribbean is far superior

Nancsi

Quote from: Forge on  28 February 2013, 16:00:32
Quote from: Nancsi on  24 February 2013, 17:29:20

been plunking away at dc when i get free time. it does seem that almost all the ambient sounds are outside, and once you go inside it's dead silent. they really missed the boat on the chance to add their own sound files.

the levels don't really feel the "same". architecturally and texture-wise they are pretty nice and very 3DR. Just like the original levels there's messed up shading and textures, but nothing too extreme.

the major downside to this addon for me is the alien encounter aspect of the game. it's so very predictable and redundant - walk around corner-shoot pigcop-walk around corner-shoot pigcop-walk around corner-shoot pigcop - after a few levels of this the game almost seems like a chore instead of entertainment.

the levels look nicer in d.c., the gameplay in caribbean is far superior

I agree. Although I don't think the levels are that different. Always those grey textured walls with big scale and no spritework. The levels I like the most are Nuked Files (pretty impressive, and Flood Zone music is a great fit), Capitol Punishment (it's the most dukish level with some colors and explosions) and Metro Mayhem (it's far superior to Rabid Transit). Top Secret has its moments but looks lame at times. The rest are just "window shopping" levels.

Puritan

I'm sharing Nancis point of view regarding the difference between Metro Mayhem and Rabid Transit.  :)
Bitter words mean little to me. Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time, when they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine, and the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

Micky C

I always hated Metro Mayhem, I find the layout too confusing. I prefer rabit transit because it's more straightforward. Although I think Duke 3D overall could have made more use of its vehicles. I like the rest of DC, the mapping layout and design is solid IMO, and texturing/shading is consistent.

Maybe I'll replay Carribean once Duke 3D+ comes out, since I've never sat down and played through that in one go.
Wall whore.