What's your released/abandoned ratio?

Started by Micky C, 19 April 2012, 14:28:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky C

There's no "general mapping discussion" subforum so it might as well go here, unless someone thinks of a better place.

How many maps have you officially released compared to what you completely gave up on and deleted (or are uselessly sitting on your hard drive for nostalgia)? Also, what about those maps that you keep telling yourself that you're going to work on but really you're never going to touch again, at least not for a few years?

I've released 3 maps (if you count Parkade) and 4 mini maps (which I'll count as one map). So 4 so far.
I'm planning on releasing about 5 more over the next year or two for various TCs, and CBP 8, which makes (hopefully) 6 in the future.

I have at least 4 attempted maps that I can remember, although each one had a lot of tweaking before I finally gave up on them, so much so that they'd probably count as 7 or 8 maps, haha. So 4 that are abandoned.

And I have 1 map that I'm kind of sitting on that was designed for classic vanilla Duke that I might get back to eventually.

But at the moment, my ratio is 4:4:1 for released:abandoned:sitting on. So about 50/50 for released/non-released.
Wall whore.

Forge

everything I've made has been released (aside from CBP8 which is still wip). My first map (Duke 3:16) was an experimentation to learn how to use mapster and make a level. I showed it to a couple people to get their feedback and they convinced me to release the horrid thing. Since then I've made three other maps and worked on three CBP's. Not much of a portfolio.
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

Puritan

Well, I've released some twentyone maps over the years.
I don't have any unreleased maps sitting on my HD, unfortunately.
When I was learning the Build editor I was reading the mapfaqs whilst trying it out in Build.
All of this test maps is long gone..... A shame really, would have been nice to have 'em solely for nostalgic reasons.

Oh wait...I have a unreleased map on my HD. But it's not completed yet!  ;D
To the trained eye - There are no coincidences
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

Loke

Everything I've worked on for these past years have been released or are being worked on. I've made some test maps over the years but I never planned on releasing those in the first place.

That's Duke-related at least but I've worked on some maps for other games such as Unreal Tournament and Freespace 2 which never saw the light of day. Also slowly working on a mini-mod for Half-Life (with OP4 content) which has been in limbo for months though I plan on going back to it once I'm finished with my The Thing map.

High Treason

I'm not entirely sure, I have about ten maps that I made between 1999 and 2005 but I never intended to release those, hehe, my first map; http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5012/capt0019.jpg

I was mostly a Blood mapper until a couple of years back, I made over 100 maps for that and relased about 20 of them, they are crap and thankfully seem to be lost to the internet (except for the ones I still have).

For Duke, I've released 6 maps - Preston Road, Verlassen Warehaus, EDF Computer Base, That stupid mini-map, The two maps in my mini-episode - not sure how to classify Loudmoor as I did release it but then I sort of recalled it and cancelled it¹. I've abandoned probably two maps that I intended to release if completed and I've got a TC planned that I know I will probably never even start because it would require me to be able to model, do art and all manner of things I am no good at. I have around 14 pages of A4 worth of ideas for this project and it is somewhat related to the dead Loudmoor project, heck, it may even share a title but not much else.

Worst-case-scenario a 2:1 Release/Abandon ratio, not too bad I suppose.

¹ I still think it was heavily underrated, I could sit here and insult everyone else's Mods and TCs, but I won't, I will admit my execution of the idea was probably not as good as it could have been.
[glow=black,2,300]sprite[].sectnum -1[/glow]

quakis

Me? I've never abandoned a project. Ever. I've always consistently released everything. 8)

In all seriousness, if I had a better vision and workflow as a mapper, I'd have finished more projects. But because of my lack of compentence years back, the latter just outweighs the former enough to break the scales. However, I feel that I work considerably better currently than back then.

Mister Sinister

I guess it's 3:2:0
I've been away from mapping for last 1.5 years even though I had a few ideas so participating in CBP 8 was kinda refreshing :)
I have one unrealeased very old mappack that I made in 2009 and a surrealistic map which I abandoned.
Gadji beri bimba clandridi
Lauli lonni cadori gadjam
A bim beri glassala glandride
E glassala tuffm

I zimbra!

methy

all the maps I've worked on :

Dark Lake : unreleased, around 250sectors made
Resident Evil mansion inspired map : unreleased (was supposed to be part of a cbp at first)
Galbadia : worked on it with Steambull and help from MRCK&MIKKO : unreleased, around 1000 sectors made; however Mikko said he'd try to pick it up
Sin City : released because of help from Mikko
3 maps in Metropolitan Mayhem released (one of which with help from Mikko) + worked a bit on MRCK's train map

1 boss map started for Metropolitan Mayhem started but abandoned
started a space map inspired by Doom unreleased and the file got lost
started a new map last month as well, 100 sectors, unreleased so far

released 2 deathmatch maps but started and gave up on 3 others

+ worked on 6 CBP parts released

got all the ideas to mix "Dark Lake"&"Resident Evil" maps together and release it
got all the ideas for the map i started last month as well
but for the both of them i won't have time to work on them until at least next october

total = 6 released (some with help from Mikko) + 6 CBP parts released + 2/3 in the "work" + 5 abandoned
http://thisshitaintscary.blogspot.com/ - The only Blog solely dedicated to Horror video games

Forge

Quote from: methy on  20 April 2012, 21:10:15
Dark Lake...unreleased
Resident Evil mansion inspired map...unreleased
Galbadia...unreleased
Sin City...released because of...Mikko

1 boss map started for Metropolitan Mayhem...abandoned
started a space map inspired by Doom...unreleased

are you and Quakis related?  ;D
Take it down to the beach with a hammer and pound sand up your ass

quakis

pfft, MetH could never become a true abandon master like me. 8)

David B.

I sometimes begin too long projects for me, or for a mapper alone.
I'm maybe too perfectionist or I sometimes see things too big.
In this way, I've got three abandoned projects on the side, some with new art (textures).
I dreamed about a serie of maps based on Blade Runner theme, or under the form of a single large map with all arts needed to deep into the movie's world.

As a result, the ratio is but 1 map released for more than 2 projects stopped or deleted.   ::)
I remind the time I wanted to realize the square of Hill Valley, California for a Back to the Future theme (I began the small street where the Lorean landed in the year 2015, and some premices of the square and architecture, then I deleted it 4 years ago).

If one day someone wants to resume one of those work with me, why not... cause today I'm not a young mapper anymore.
As said, the ideas are not missing with me, I've a lot of inspiration but lack for motivation.
David B.

Puritan

Quote from: David B. on  20 July 2012, 14:34:52
I dreamed about a serie of maps based on Blade Runner theme..

Man, that's my favourite movie of all time besides Alien.  8)
The more you see - The less it makes sense
If you can not see - You can not truly know

David B.

Quote from: Puritan on  20 July 2012, 16:38:55
Quote from: David B. on  20 July 2012, 14:34:52
I dreamed about a serie of maps based on Blade Runner theme..

Man, that's my favourite movie of all time besides Alien.  8)
Sure, it's an icon of the cyberpunk art, I'm looking forward the 2nd movie cause the ambiance in the movie is like a drug for me ;
David B.

Gambini

Funny. I watched that movie yesterday for the first time in 25 years (which means I watched it once when 6). I did because some buddy told me it had a lot of similarities with a game I just finished (Deus Ex HR).

It´s a pretty tedious movie, but gave me some mapping ideas as well.

MSandt

Quote from: Gambini on  21 July 2012, 01:06:18
Funny. I watched that movie yesterday for the first time in 25 years (which means I watched it once when 6). I did because some buddy told me it had a lot of similarities with a game I just finished (Deus Ex HR).

It´s a pretty tedious movie, but gave me some mapping ideas as well.

It's actually one of those movies that get better the more you watch them - every time you notice something new to appreciate.
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." -Howard Roark