Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:08:11 AM 
Started by Puritan - Last post by Forge
Holocausto en la sierra
Eye del Cul
13 July 2003

A couple canyons with military base type structures scattered around.

The level is made up of a few small buildings, each usually made up of just a single room or two, a couple underwater sections, some sewer sections, and a couple open outdoor canyon areas. Nothing too extravagant, but it's put together well enough architecturally. Usually the indoor parts are pretty dark, the outdoor parts are pretty bright, and detailing consists of piles of sprite objects set on fire and dumped randomly around the level.
Gameplay consists mostly of wandering around open canyon sections, hopping from rock to rock, shooting everything that moves, looking for sporadically placed supplies, trying to find a key, and avoiding random explosions. And such magnificent explosions they are. Open a door - everything explodes. Flip a switch - everything explodes. Step on a rock - everything explodes. Sneeze - everything explodes. Good thing there are generous amounts of healing items spread around. More fun than skin grafts.

Overall I'd give it and 80

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zlq8z3utflhf05a/BAR14.zip

on: January 20, 2018, 06:50:53 PM 
Thanks.

They're just opinions I'm posting in a forum, not something chiseled from stone.  If you're going to use them in an "official review" capacity and there's something about them you want to change (such as the score, or something added to or removed from the description which you feel could better reflect a map), feel free to do so.

on: January 20, 2018, 10:38:33 AM 
Started by Puritan - Last post by Puritan
Thank you, sire.
A good review and a fair score  :)

on: January 19, 2018, 03:38:36 PM 
Ancients
4 May 1997
Author Unknown

An underground military base themed map.

The design is of a simple hub-styled level with the premise of a key-card hunt. The quality of the ambiance fluctuates a bit; some areas are well detailed and have solid shading techniques applied. Other sections are full-bright and are textured like the tile was on sale. Generally though, the architecture and construction are pretty decent, and the map is consistent with ambient sounds.
The player is constantly changing elevation with lifts, slopes, balconies, and stairs. Plus the environment shifts from above ground, to natural tunnel, to military bunker, to a few underwater sections. The enemies and weaponry also vary with the surroundings, and all this variety keeps the player's attention engaged in the level and maybe feeling a little more forgiving towards some of the simpler areas. More fun than a date with a fat-commander.

Overall I'd give it an 83

on: January 18, 2018, 07:25:56 PM 
Shuffled through my pile of maps and I didn't find a match.
I agree that this map is from 1997. A typical map from that decade.
It was a straight forward but fun little map  :)

on: January 18, 2018, 12:47:15 AM 
I did find the same file on Duke4's dukeworld file system under the 2001 to current listings.
It also is without a template.
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/2001-current/unsorted/other/Duke%20Nukem%203D/Maps/Single%20Player/2004/Maps/

The one from Dukeworld is dated 2004. The one I have is dated 1997. I tend to lean towards the date of the one I have as being closer to the original. I'm basing that off of the huge sector behind the mirror that is typical to maps from Duke3D 1.3.

My concern is if this level is from a TC or something. The dukematch in this map is set up pretty weird too.
Not too sure about the TC thing though - since it is available as a lone map on Dukeworld.

I just don't want to waste my time playing it and giving my opinion about it if it's part of a larger package. Be nice if I knew who created it as well.

on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:11 PM 
I'm having problems identifying this map. I have no template, there are no watermarks that I found, and I don't know where it came from.

Do you recognize it?

[attachment removed]

on: January 17, 2018, 10:03:22 AM 
^Splendid
The review is uploaded.
Many thanks  :)

on: January 16, 2018, 04:57:10 PM 
Aliens2
Marek  "Fallout" Kubáèek
19 May 2001

The map follows the theme of the Aliens movie; a human colony on a distant planet has stopped making contact and it's up to the player to investigate. The atmosphere is well done with flashing and pulsing red lights on dark grey steel textures, hissing steam everywhere, little bits of debris strewn about, and sections of the base in various states of destruction or disrepair. The player is also required to crawl around in vents, drop down shafts, leap across chasms, and navigate through various twisting and turning corridors and rooms. Puzzles and keys are a minor part to the game. The primary portion of action is avoiding aliens due to limited healing items and ammo, and dodging explosions as the structure is in the process of self-destructing. It's quite challenging and harrowing at times. More fun than a fireball to the face. If you move too fast or too slow, it is a fireball to the face.

Overall I'd give it an 85   

on: January 16, 2018, 04:29:23 AM 
You can remove the links out of my posts if you want. You have the Modify function set on a time limit for us regular users, so I can't go back and change anything.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 12 queries.